Finding compatible parts for older bikes.

Pbody101
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1985/suzuki/gs550l

Finding compatible parts for older bikes.

#1 Unread post by Pbody101 »

Hello group,

I have a 1985 suzuki gs550l and there are very limited engine parts i.e. Carberator. Can anybody lead me in a direction of newer made bikes/parts that would be compatible.

Thank you.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Finding compatible parts for older bikes.

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Hi Dave, and welcome to TMW! You've come to the right place, our community of enthusiasts is sure to have some suggestions for you.

I can't speak to what modern or modern-ish parts might be compatible with your bike, and my assumption would be there'll probably be some custom fabrication involved in making newer components work properly. For OEM, the standard list is usually the best place to start, i.e. Craigslist and EBay. You may also have some luck checking around for other forum communities specific to the older Zukes, there's sure to be a couple (just make sure to come back to TMW and share your experiences!). Finally, I've had some luck with wreckers that maintain an online presence, there was one place in South Dakota that supplied me with an almost perfect chin for my wife's Ninja 500. I'll have to check my records and see if I can find their name, it was a couple years ago.

Best of luck, and I'll wager someone with more experience than myself will be along shortly with a better answer.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#3 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Found 'em, they're outta Missoula, not one of the Dakotas. Even a link to some parts for your bike.

http://bikeboneyard.com/85%20suzuki%20gs-550l.html

Pbody101
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1985/suzuki/gs550l

#4 Unread post by Pbody101 »

Jack Of The Green,

Thank you!! Holy cow I was searching through a few pages on google and a turned over very few leads on this, I appreciate it! I was thinking about spending another 1,000 on a bike that runs, but I think I will gain more even with the headaches working on this one!! Thank you again

P