WillyWanka0420
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 99 Suzuki Intruder VS1400GLP

99 Intruder VS1400GLP - No Start No Crank

#1 Unread post by WillyWanka0420 »

I'm new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help you provide. I've got a no start no crank issue. Here's a little back story to describe the root of my problem (I believe). The bike was running great for the past 3 years I've had it. The past 3 months I was experiencing a persistent starter when starting the bike. The starter would just keep running even when hitting the kill switch and turning the key off. I'd get to my destination and everything would be fine. This happened 3 or 4 times. The last time it happened I came to a stop and could here the starter motor still going. Once I got back up to speed I thought maybe killing the power and then doing a roll start would "reset" the system. After switching the kill switch back on to do a roll start I had no ignition. And slowly came to a stop, all the while the starter motor still going until the battery died. Fast forward to today. I've replaced the starter coil/relay, battery (it was toast) & starter motor. I've bypassed the clutch switch. I did the simple click test on the sidestand/neutral relay and it seems fine (I tried bypassing it but didn't seem to do anything). I've got a new one on the way too, it was $15. I'm pretty sure the kill switch and start button work. With the ignition switch on, I'll press the start button and the lights will dim ever so slightly, which it's always done. With the kill switch activated the lights do not dim. When I try and start it I get nothing. With the sidestand up or down, neutral or not, clutch depressed or not, I get the same result. This weekend I'm going to see if I get spark when bypassing the starter coil. If I get spark I'll replace the fuel with ethanol free fuel and try and get it started to run some gas through the system. Thanks so much for any help you guys can provide.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: 99 Intruder VS1400GLP - No Start No Crank

#2 Unread post by pchast »

Find the start solenoid that the start button activates. Test it
with a volt ohm meter.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

WillyWanka0420 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:24 amThe starter would just keep running even when hitting the kill switch and turning the key off
It's quite obvious to me your starter solenoid was bad. I can jump a starter solenoid with a screwdriver or plyers even with the key off and removed and the motor will turn over, it's just a relay connected directly to the battery and starter awaiting signal from a trigger wire coming from your starter button. If it sticks or breaks in the active position, it will feed battery voltage to the starter regardless of what you do with the kill switch or key.
WillyWanka0420 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:24 amAfter switching the kill switch back on to do a roll start I had no ignition.
That's where I'd start my troubleshooting, at that kill switch. The engine was running, you shut it off, turned it back on and the ignition was dead. Check all your fuses with a meter, bypass the kill switch if necessary...also look at the diodes wired to the Neutral Safety Switch, Clutch Switch, and Kickstand Switch.

WillyWanka0420
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by WillyWanka0420 »

Thanks ZooTech. I had my suspicions about the diode when I was taking a look at the wiring diagram. I'll have to figure out how to test it.

I also pondered if there may be a short in the headlight assembly. I had a '98 Intruder. I have a faint memory of it behaving the same way. I had a local shop do the repair. I seem to remember picking the bike up and asking what the issue was. He said it was a wiring issue in the headlight assembly. This was 20 years ago though so my memory could be corrupt.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#5 Unread post by ZooTech »

The headlight bucket is the Grand Central Station for critical circuits on most bikes - everything from both switch housings, the ignition switch junction, and all the lighting circuits converge in there. Two Philips screws gains you quick access, perhaps you'll find a gremlin or two in there...

***edit***

Also inspect the solder joints on the ignition switch itself, I've seen those heat up enough to pop off and kill everything electrical...

WillyWanka0420
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by WillyWanka0420 »

Thanks ZooTech. I'll check out the headlight assembly this weekend. I had enough time to replace the kickstand/neutral relay and bypassed the killswitch last night before the sun started setting. Same result. I for the life of me couldn't find where the diode is located. I searched the manual and google to no avail. I'd prefer to bypass the relay all together. Based off the wiring diagram that would take the diode out of the mix too. I always park my bike in neutral and pull the clutch before I press the start button. It's just habit.