Capt. D
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1991 Yamaha Venture Royal XVZ1300D

1991 Yamaha Clutch wont disengage

#1 Unread post by Capt. D »

Just got a 1991 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300cc that hasn't been run in 5 years. Engine runs strong but the clutch wont disengage. Pulled the lever several times then noticed oil dripping out from under the bike. Couldn't see the clutch slave unit, so I pulled off the Middle Drive cover to expose the slave. Banjo bolt and bleeder screw are dry. I can not see where the fluid is coming from if in fact it is brake fluid. Maybe the clutch and the oil leak are two separate problems. Anyway, I am going to pull the clutch cover off to see if the pressure plate is moving and the plates are just stuck together. Any ideas out there?

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: 1991 Yamaha Clutch wont disengage

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

Brake fluid has stiction when you rub it between your fingers, oil is just oily. That should help identify the leaking fluid. The clutch may just need flushed and bled.

Capt. D
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1991 Yamaha Venture Royal XVZ1300D

#3 Unread post by Capt. D »

Thanks for the reply Zootech. I pulled the slave unit. It came out really easy. Found the piston was frozen in place. Knocked it out and found it to be completely screwed and pitted. The oil seal between the slave and casing was completely oil saturated and rotted. The push rod was worn on the clutch plate end. Ordered all new parts. Going to open up the clutch housing and inspect that next. I'll keep you informed as to what I find in there.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#4 Unread post by ZooTech »

Norman, I restored a 1983 Yamaha XS650 with 1200 original miles that sat in a corner of someone's garage since 1984 (this was 3yrs ago). Even with so few miles and indoor storage in an immaculately clean garage, the pistons were seized tight. After a month of soaking in Metal Rescue, then SeaFoam, then ATF...they broke free! Bike ran beautifully and never smoked or used oil. Take your time, these bikes come back from just about anything.