sophiazz
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 56
My Motorcycle: y120

Headlight fuse blows when engine get hot

#1 Unread post by sophiazz »

Had an issue this past week at Myrtle Beach. Two seperate times in heavy, stop and roll traffic, because the MB DOT decided to close north bound ocean blvd...my engine heat was really high. No thermometer, but definately, 'seat of the pants' testing. Anyhow, both times my light fuse popped (no lights at all...headlights, taillights, brakelights, etc). I at first thought i had a short or something, but i have never had this happen before. After i changed the first fuse, i was ok for 50-60 miles, until i got into heavy traffic again. Is this just a coincidence. I checked the wiring once i got back home, and didnt find anyting unusual.
Has anyone seen similar issues or have a clue as to why a hot engine will pop a fuse? I ride a HD 2001 Road King Police (FLHRPI).

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Headlight fuse blows when engine get hot

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

Harleys vibrate (more) at idle than at cruise. Perhaps it's the shaking and not the heat.

CorwinRT
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2008 CBR650

#3 Unread post by CorwinRT »

Double check your wiring for any possible open wire. Almost the same thing happened to my uncle's Harley, blown fuse twice after long rides and another one during a hard rain. When I visited his shop for the installation of the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto his Jeep, we took a closer look at the wiring of his bike. There were couple of wires damaged by rodents.

evgen1e
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2018 Kovi Verta 200

#4 Unread post by evgen1e »

HD 2001 Road King Police is a beast. My dad used to ride a similar one.
If the wiring is physically untouched then it could be a shaking indeed. Maybe installing a led light as mentioned will help. Upd: maybe that was a mouse?