going to the darkside - car tire

JJ
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

going to the darkside - car tire

#1 Unread post by JJ »

I own a 2003 Suzuki LC1500 and I was wondering what experience if any anyone has with using a car tire on the back wheel.

It seems anyone who has done this extolls the virture of mounting a car tire with only minor degradation of handling at low speeds.

People say they have to relearn the leaning thing (be a bit more forceful and telling the bike to lean, not just letting it lean)

So I know a lot of people will want to warn against this. OK I hear you. I want to hear from car tire users first hand

Jan
Look for me at the next bike rally
middle aged, fat, black T-shirt & jeans
Easy to spot eh?

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

My Uncle is thinking about doing it sometime this summer. I'll be back after we learn the hard way ;)
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Of course if your looking for that wide rear tire look you could fit the bike with a 250 to 300 motorcycle tire. The only bikes that should use shouldered tires are sidecar rigs.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by roscowgo »

I'm greatly in favor of that whole steering thing.

But if you just gotta do it.....put one of those big 35" jacked up truck tires on it.

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#5 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Car tires are for cars! BUT if you DO go with a car tire on the rear wheel, go with a GOOD one. Go high performance summer. You'll still get good miles out of it. Make sure it has the same width and height as the stocker or you may have speedo and/or clearance issues.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by jonnythan »

What's the benefit?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

JJ
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by JJ »

jonnythan wrote:What's the benefit?
The benefit as I understand it is longer tire life - 4 to 1

For my bike a car tire is about $80.00 + installation = about $140 -150 with tax

Bike tire $250 X 4 + 4 installs = $1250 tax in.
Easy to spot eh?

JJ
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by JJ »

It seems everyone has advice - don't do it, make sure you get a good tire, OK I've heard it and I knew it would come but has anyone actually done it?

Can I hear from those people?

jj
Easy to spot eh?

crazy5dave
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by crazy5dave »

How does your math work out if we throw in a hospital bill? Cars tires last longer because they have deeper rubber tread and its a harder compound. This harder compound to last longer but will not grip as well. the car tire is not designed to rotate like a proper bike tire and will have a smaller contact pack in the corner with a less grip. turning will be screwed. Your tires will last longer if you keep them properly inflated. check them every week or two. as a bike mechanic i rarely see anyone with the proper presure in their tires when i service them. Bad idea. Good lucky with that.
2007 Buell XB12Ss

Britjoe
Legendary
Legendary

#10 Unread post by Britjoe »

Your fecking crazy, Car tire, I guess if you live in arisona and keep chikens in your car, and you have never have seen a bend or corner on your Harley combineharvester/motorcycle, I guess it would seem like a good Idea.

but seriously (see the curves on the side of the tires) they are there for a reason, so your tire touches the ashphelt.

Drag bikes have square profiles, but thats so they get the maximum profile to the ashphelt going in a straight line.

do you ever intend to ride arround corners?
[img]http://members.shaw.ca/joe.d/webheader.jpg[/img]