Yamaha 1993 XV535 single spark !!!!!!!!

MADYAM
Rookie
Rookie

Yamaha 1993 XV535 single spark !!!!!!!!

#1 Unread post by MADYAM »

Have a one coil pick-up on my 1993 Yamaha xv535, I have disconnected the connector from the wireing loom and found that I have continuity on the black wire from the pick-up coil to the frame, but no continuity on the grey wire. Would the continuity on the black wire be the cause of only one cylinder sparking?
The primary and secondary coils seem to be ok as I have swopped the coil wires over and the other cylinder sparks.
Has anybody had a similar problem? :frusty:

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Yamaha 1993 XV535 single spark !!!!!!!!

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

MADYAM wrote:Have a one coil pick-up on my 1993 Yamaha xv535, I have disconnected the connector from the wireing loom and found that I have continuity on the black wire from the pick-up coil to the frame, but no continuity on the grey wire. Would the continuity on the black wire be the cause of only one cylinder sparking?
The primary and secondary coils seem to be ok as I have swopped the coil wires over and the other cylinder sparks.
Has anybody had a similar problem? :frusty:
I'm not really good with these Virago ignition systems.

You should head over to ViragoTechForum.com

I'm a member there, and the guys who hang out over there are very very good at diagnosing problems with the 'rago.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

Is there only one primary coil for both cylinders, with 2 lead (sparkplug wires and caps) wires coming out of it? You could have a bad lead on the one side.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

MADYAM
Rookie
Rookie

XV535 SINGLE SPARK

#4 Unread post by MADYAM »

Thanks for your thoughts, but it has twin primary coils and they are both ok as I swopped the grey and the orange wires over on the coils and got a spark on the other cylinder.