MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

Lifts/Jacks for Vstar 650

#1 Unread post by MZ33 »

I am scoping out lifts/jacks for my new-to-me 2003 Vstar 650, so that I can at least change the oil(s) myself, and maybe work up to more complex things. [$75 for an oil change?? Yeeesh!] Went to my trusty mega-sized motorcycle accessory shop, and they told me only thing they had that might suit my bike might also interfere with the oil pan. Yamaha dealer could order one that would work for $400. Umm, is my bike that specialized? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#2 Unread post by flynrider »

Do you need a lift to change the oil? I've had a few bikes without centerstands and was always able to change the oil while it was on the sidestand. After it had finished draining on the sidestand, I'd get on and hold it upright for a few minutes to get the last dregs out.

If I had to lift bikes that didn't have sidestands, I'd find a place on the bottom of the bike where I could place a short 2x4 across both frame members. I bought an inexpensive 3 ton floor jack (the kind on rollers, with the long handle), centered the 2x4 on it, and lifted up with the jack spaced between the frame members.

It's a cheap and easy solution, but check your bike first. I've never had a bike that this didn't work on, but some have low hanging pipes or other obstructions that won't allow you to get the board across the pipes.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#3 Unread post by MZ33 »

Thanks, John! I think that may be a cheaper solution. The oil pan hangs below the frame to the rear, and there is a question of how much space do I have in front of it, and will that balance the bike okay. Your method might give me more flexibility in terms of where to best place the crosspiece.

I might be able to drain the oil with just the sidestand, and straighten it near the end. I just picture myself kicking the oil pan or some such clumsy thing.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]