Carb problem on CSR 250

Streamline
Rookie
Rookie

Carb problem on CSR 250

#1 Unread post by Streamline »

First of all thank you for the great forum. I have a a 1981 CSR 250. It had had been sitting in my grandparents garage for 2 years without being started.

I took the carb out and cleaned it very well. When I put the carb back in the bike fired right up.

However when I pull the throttle back to give it more gas it starts to put and looses power. If I remain at a lower RPM and don't give it much gas it goes awesome.

Any ideas to help the problem. Did I miss something when cleaning out the carb?

Thanks in advance.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#2 Unread post by flynrider »

Sounds like you might have missed something, or some crud from the tank made its way into your freshly cleaned carbs. Did you put a filter on it? If the bike sat long enough for the gas in the carb to deteriorate, you can bet that the same thing happened in the tank (and the petcock, and the fuel lines).

It sounds like your idle circuits are still clean, but you possibly have a clogged main jet. The carb switches from the idle circuit to the main jet when you open up the throttle.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Streamline
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks

#3 Unread post by Streamline »

Thank you for the response. I will pull the carb again and check the both jets again to make sure that I did not miss anything. Appreciate the help.

Jon