Homemade saddlebags

fly4aliving
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Homemade saddlebags

#1 Unread post by fly4aliving »

Noob posting here.
I was wondering if anyone had made their own leather saddlebags? Where did you get a pattern or did you make your own pattern?

I have been searching and all I can come up with is a book from Tandy's that has several patterns but they look more like saddlebags for horses.

If this question has been posted please post a link as I couldn't find it!

I haven't seen any commercial ones that I like or if I like them they cost $700.

Thanks!

Fly (V-Star 650)

redcoat
Veteran
Veteran

pattern

#2 Unread post by redcoat »

Go buy 2 West German day packs from a surplus shop. They are about 7" thick, by 14 x 14 or so. They have a flap top that you lace down. I just tie the shoulder straps together and use as throw over saddle bags, and they have never been stolen. And, because they have a flap top, you can stuff more and more stuff in!

In your case, if you've read this far...buy one bag, and cut it apart so you can use it as a pattern for making two in leather.

Good luck, post a pic, ask again...I do a bit of rudimentary leather work.

Justin

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#3 Unread post by fireguzzi »

We had a guy on here that made some hard bags for his beemer out of ammunition boxes.

TechTMW was his name. Wonder what ever happened to him.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by slimcolo »

We had a guy on here that made some hard bags for his beemer out of ammunition boxes.
I've done that, also made leather bags with no pattern. (made out of old sheet then tore apart and used for pattern when making leather ones.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

fly4aliving
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by fly4aliving »

I'll probably end up making a pattern, thanks for the input!

fly

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Homemade saddlebags

#6 Unread post by Shorts »

fly4aliving wrote:Noob posting here.
I was wondering if anyone had made their own leather saddlebags? Where did you get a pattern or did you make your own pattern?

I have been searching and all I can come up with is a book from Tandy's that has several patterns but they look more like saddlebags for horses.

If this question has been posted please post a link as I couldn't find it!

I haven't seen any commercial ones that I like or if I like them they cost $700.

Thanks!

Fly (V-Star 650)

Fly, you're on the right track. I make leather holsters and I'll be adding motorcycle gear to my list.

Look on Tandy's site, there is motorcycle specific gear patterns. I ran into if after seeing the same saddle bags you saw that were specified for horseback. I'd start with those patterns first for the bike. From there you can get the hang of the build process, then draw your own patterns and design when you feel you're ready to branch out.

Here's the link:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/prod ... =64&Page=2

Motorcycle Accessory Pattern Pack Item #62667-00

Of course, pick up all your leather and supplies from Tandy. Leather should run anywhere from $75-$180 for 14sqft. Of course, the difference in cost being the quality of te leather. I also recommend getting the Al Stohlman starter kit, with the book and 4 tools and some thread. That's an excellent way to acquire the tools and techniques you need to get started. Of course, pick up any dye you're interested in trying.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by slimcolo »

Wow I thought Tandy went out of bussiness years ago! When they quit selling through Radio shack.

mydlyfkryzis
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 1976 CB360t, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750

#8 Unread post by mydlyfkryzis »

slimcolo wrote:Wow I thought Tandy went out of business years ago! When they quit selling through Radio shack.
The other way around.

In the early 60's, Tandy was the store. Tandy became Radio Shack as the artsy crafty things fell out of favor and electronics became more popular. I used to shop at Tandy for radio and electronic kits before it became Radio Shack. The half of the store with Electronics became Radio Shack, the other half remained Tandy. Of course, at least here in the Northeast, Tandy disappeared. The transistor was a new invention when I was shopping there back then.

Back then, the store owners were Hobbiest too. they could write a schematic and pull the parts you needed to build your device. Today, the clerks in the store don't know a TO3 from a T220 package and unless you give them a Radio Shack Part number, have no idea what you are talking about.
Richard - Fully Dressed

Naked 1991 Honda NightHawk 750
Naked 1976 Honda CB360T

fly4aliving
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by fly4aliving »

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I did find the pattern, it is on it's way..... now maybe I can make some "girly" bags!!

fly