ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

LED lighting upgrade

#1 Unread post by ofblong »

Ok I am trying to figure out what exactly I may need to upgrade my side lamps(blinkers) and rear brake lights with LED lighting. I found

http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/elect ... ction.html

but not sure exactly what to buy. I am thinking the last thing on that page would work for my front blinkers (since they are always on and blink when I turn the blinker on). however I think for lighting all I need is

http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/LED_Rear_Light.html

for both the front blinkers and the rear brake. I am not sure what I need for the rear blinkers (since they arent on all the time) nor exactly what I need to do for the instrument panel (dummy blinker light). I dont have a problem with rewiring should I need to but I want to make sure I do it right the first time so I dont spend a few days trying to figure out what I did wrong which means a few days of no riding. I also want to replace the speedo bulb with LED since it needs replaced anyways.

Oh and if I change the bulbs to LED should I also take the 10amp fuse and lower it to say a 5 amp fuse?

thanks for your guys help in advance.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#2 Unread post by ofblong »

So I take it im going to have to be a ginny pig and figure it out on my own?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

What kind of bulbs does your bike use now? Can you find direct replacements LED bulbs? 1156 (turnsignal) and 1157 (running/turnsignal) are most common and have direct LED replacements.
I'd also leave that fuse alone. It may protect more that those bulbs.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Skier

#4 Unread post by Skier »

Pull a front bulb out and a rear bulb out. See what kind of base they use - blade or bayonet. The bulbs in my Hornet were bayonet style 1157s up front for always on and blinking ability and the rears were sporting bayonet style 1156, single intensity (on or off).

I picked up some LEDs from superbrightleds.com along with an appropriate electronic flasher to get the correct flashing speed.

You can leave the fuses alone: you don't gain anything by swapping fuses.

Front bulb:
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#5 Unread post by ofblong »

aahh ok thanks :D. So I shouldnt have to change the switch's out only the bulbs?

Oh and mine are bayonet I know this cause I pulled the bulbs out last year as I thought there was a wiring issue since the rear lights were always on lol.

Skier

#6 Unread post by Skier »

Not a problem.

The only things you have to change out are the bulbs. However chances are good your flasher relay will make the bulbs flash really, really quickly, resulting in a condition known as Ricer Flash. To get the indicators flashing the same speed as with the incandescent bulbs, you'll have to get an electronic flasher relay to replace the stock bimetallic unit on the bike.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#7 Unread post by ofblong »

Skier wrote:Not a problem.

The only things you have to change out are the bulbs. However chances are good your flasher relay will make the bulbs flash really, really quickly, resulting in a condition known as Ricer Flash. To get the indicators flashing the same speed as with the incandescent bulbs, you'll have to get an electronic flasher relay to replace the stock bimetallic unit on the bike.
ok cool. I dont know why I missed you saying that in your first post lol.

ElChado87
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by ElChado87 »

I just put flush mounts on my SV650S front fairing.....LED so they flash do quicker. They do nothing for oncoming traffic on left turns. Looks good flush, but safety is still a concern.

I have two little running lights, one on either side of my main headlights.
o00o <-- like that. They aren't providing low or high beams, they're just there.

I was thinking about cutting the wires to those, and then splicing them in series to the signal light circuit, thus giving me flashers on the front, not just the side of my fairing. I'm thinking the extra resistance of the extra bulb will even out my flasher speed too.

Are there any issues any of y'all think might arise from this? I'm mainly concerned about damaging the expensive blinker switches...

P.S>If I'm hi-jacking threads, let me know, I believe this to be on topic, and am trying to avoid starting new threads about the same thing... But then again.... based on the dates of the last post...
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#9 Unread post by Johnj »

About those side marker lights, if you connect one side of the marker light to the hot side of the front running light and the other side of the marker light to the hot side of the front turn-signal light, the marker light will flash when the turn signals are on and be on the rest of the time.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ElChado87
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by ElChado87 »

So... Help me understand this.

Do you mean wire the running light in parallel to the signal light? I only have a signal light, no side marker light.

I'm thinking, leave the running light up front as normal, but wire one end from the turn signal to it, and then back to the turn signal?

Wouldn't that burn the bulb with the extra power? Or are you thinking of a third light in the circuit? I only have the headlights(don't wanna mess with those), running lights, and turn signal. I want the running light to blink too.
I think you already got that, but I'm not understanding you! :laughing:
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?