too much power and no speed

pszabo
Rookie
Rookie

too much power and no speed

#1 Unread post by pszabo »

1983 yamaha virago 920 cruises 55 mph at 3500 rpms and thats on flat road with a 920 engine i feel like this bike could handle some larger gears but its a drive shaft. i know you can change the sproket on a chain drive but whats the equivalent for a shaft drive???

and i heard drive shafts were less efficient. would it be realistic to go for a chain drive kit?

thanks

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

Your pretty much stuck with what you got unless you want to spend some big cash and time to convert the bike to chain drive... if it can be done at all. Some companies make conversion kits for V-Maxes, you may be able to rig one of those to work. But it is likely not very cost effective.

Your may be able to find a bigger tire (diameter-wise) that will fit your bike, that will raise your final drive ratio slightly. Other than that, you is got the shaft, Man. :wink:

:laughing:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Chain drives kits are expensive... but cool because no one else has that bike with a chain! :laughing:
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

What's the redline on that 920?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.