ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

adding accessories to fuse box

#1 Unread post by ofblong »

Ok I am kinda confused on what exactly I need (other than a fuse) to add accessories to the fuse box on my bike. I dont want to add them directly to the battery as I want them to turn off and on when I turn the key. I have 3 or 4 extra fuse slots in my fuse box but I am unsure as to what I need to add to be able to use those slots. I want to add both my GPS wire and my Heated Glove wire to the box. I obviously wont be using the wires all the time thus why I want them to only be on when the key is turned.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#2 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Depends on the box, does it include both a positive and a ground? Some return the negative wire to a grounding block. However, if it has both, put the positive wire on the positive side, the negative on the negative and fuse accordingly.

My bike didn't have extra slots so I used a relay connected to the taillight to give me switched power on an auxiliary fuse box. Then I have running lights, comm system, gps, heated grips, heated jacket, extra powerlets for charging various things, a stebel horn and soon to have a jogger/bad driver educator (A Cars window washer jet hooked up in a tailbag to a jug of cold water)
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#3 Unread post by ofblong »

ahh so I dont necessarily need a relay then. Just need to add the wires to the pos/neg wiring and fuse it in the box???

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

Most heated gloves have their own inline fuse and they usually give you a quick release plug to install directly to the battery.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

mydlyfkryzis
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 1976 CB360t, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750

#5 Unread post by mydlyfkryzis »

I would recommend the relay.

Hardwired to the battery on the switched contacts (Fused of course).

Wire the coil to either running lights or headlight.

Now your accessories turn off and on with the ignition switch. You never accidentally leave them on.

One 30 amp automotive type relay can handle any load your alternator can.

Wire the relay to a 4 or 5 position auxiliary fuse box and you have a good junction box for all your accessories.

You can find them in pep boys or such. The stereo crowd uses them, so look in the audio section.
Last edited by mydlyfkryzis on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard - Fully Dressed

Naked 1991 Honda NightHawk 750
Naked 1976 Honda CB360T

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#6 Unread post by ofblong »

HYPERR wrote:Most heated gloves have their own inline fuse and they usually give you a quick release plug to install directly to the battery.
cept it still "leaks" a small amount from the battery when you connect it directly and well I just dont want to deal with that. I would rather (as stated above) not accidentally leave anything on and just have it turn off when I turn the key off. Both my GPS wire AND my heated glove wire have an inline fuse but like I said I just dont want them connected directly to the battery.

mydly thanks for the tip.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

ofblong wrote:
HYPERR wrote:Most heated gloves have their own inline fuse and they usually give you a quick release plug to install directly to the battery.
cept it still "leaks" a small amount from the battery when you connect it directly and well I just dont want to deal with that. I would rather (as stated above) not accidentally leave anything on and just have it turn off when I turn the key off. Both my GPS wire AND my heated glove wire have an inline fuse but like I said I just dont want them connected directly to the battery.

I understand what you are saying with the GPS but with heated gloves, you would have to disconnect at the quick release when you dismount.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#8 Unread post by ofblong »

HYPERR wrote:
ofblong wrote:

I understand what you are saying with the GPS but with heated gloves, you would have to disconnect at the quick release when you dismount.
mine came with an on/off switch :D.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I think hyper is saying that you're most likely taking the gloves away from the bike with you.

Look into setting up some powerlet outlets on the bike. Nice and convenient way to hook up accessories
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#10 Unread post by HYPERR »

storysunfolding wrote:I think hyper is saying that you're most likely taking the gloves away from the bike with you.
Yep that's what I'm sayin'.

I don't think you would be leaving the heated gloves connected to the bike when you get to your destination. First of all, it will be that much colder if left outside. And most likely, it will grow feet and "walk away". :laughing:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS