Full exhaust system

r1 freak
Rookie
Rookie

Full exhaust system

#1 Unread post by r1 freak »

Will it be safe or wise to install a full system on a 09 yamaha r6? It's mostly a streetbike and most of the exhaust manufactors say ''only for modified engines'' Will there be a big difference in the lower end performancewise? [/b][/i]

Against.Da.Grain
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

2009 Yamaha R6

#2 Unread post by Against.Da.Grain »

Does the 2009 R6 have an exhaust power valve like the R1. (Probably not i dont think the 600's benefit that much from them) I know the 2008 doesn't have one. Anyway about the full system (assuming there is no power valve) All systems behave a little differently but most will increase your power on the high rpm side. Most of the time this gain on the high side makes the low end suffer. You can get a Power Commander to help bring the low end power back somewhat. Which if your buying a full system i recommend a Power Commander anyway.

Good Luck
The Viking

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Agreed... Basically the manufacturers are saying that because technically just about any exhaust that modifies power, sound, or fuel consumption is "For Off Road or Race Use Only" Even Harley's line of Screaming Eagle accessories say that, and who is going to race a Softtail, much less take it off road? :laughing:
So yeah, basically if you buy an exhaust, also have the power commander put on and tuned for it. (Might be a map out there for it, but custom tuning is the best way to get max power/fuel efficiency out of it)
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Ryethil »

Wrider wrote:Agreed... Basically the manufacturers are saying that because technically just about any exhaust that modifies power, sound, or fuel consumption is "For Off Road or Race Use Only" Even Harley's line of Screaming Eagle accessories say that, and who is going to race a Softtail, much less take it off road? :laughing:
So yeah, basically if you buy an exhaust, also have the power commander put on and tuned for it. (Might be a map out there for it, but custom tuning is the best way to get max power/fuel efficiency out of it)
Wrider
I know this is a long time since the last post here but 2 observations. Most aftermarket exhaust systems run lean so you really should have a EFI controller, I use Thundermax a lot because I'm not looking for ultimate efficency and the Thundermax has a lot of automatic features and easy to flash maps that take the guessing out of EFI contriol. However, if you use an aftermarket EFI contoller, it voids your motorcycle's emissions certificate and it should fail an emissions
test. If this is an issue then you were warned.
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

There is no 'should' about it, you will need a Power Commander to alter the air/fuel ratio with a full system. Add $350 to the price of whatever system you are looking at for that.

And the power gains will be in the upper RPM ranges, the lower and mid range will actually suffer slightly. Exhaust systems don't really create power, they move it's delivery around the RPM range more than anything.

Unless your goal is to lose weight (most full systems are lighter than stock, but not all) go with a slip-on, especially if what you're really after is the sound. A slip-on will give you the bark but the stock ECU can still compensate and keep the A/F correct.
No Witnesses.... :shifty: