Do I need new piston rings?

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#11 Unread post by BuzZz »

A Hi-Vo chain (multi-plate, or silent chain<--- there's a misnomer if ever there was one) advantage is that it spreads the load across the sprocket teeth and chain plates well rather than concentrating that load on a small-ish chain roller and sprocket tooth, like a conventional chain. A multi-plate runs on sprockets that have wider teeth to accommodate the plates than those on regular roller-type sprockets. I don't think the 2 types are interchangeable ('think' is the key work here, I may be wrong.... but I doubt it :mrgreen: ), you need a complete set of sprockets and chain to make that work, and one of those sprockets is built into the crankshaft. Not really a viable option.

Also as far as I know, there is no such a thing as a masterlink for multi-plate chains, the design just does not lend itself to such an item, no room on the sides for one thing. Staked pins are the norm, done at the factory on any such chain I've ever seen.

With the chain running on the cam sprocket like it would be when assembled (more or less) try lifting the chain off the sprocket at the top of the sprocket. If you can lift the chain and expose more than about half the sprocket tooth, the chain is getting pretty sloppy. When it's this worn, you are taking a chance of the chain skipping a tooth and throwing out the cam timing, maybe pushing valves into pistons and other bad things.

It is possible that the camchain adjuster was sticky (not uncommon) and that is what the P.O. heard. Once it was disassembled, you can't really tell if it was sticky before, and it will probably be freed-up now. If the rest of the motor looks as good as it does, chances are the camchain is serviceable too. Check it out and make your decision, and keep in mind what you want out of this motor. It's got 90k on it now, if you get another 50k out of it, your getting more than your money's worth just by re-assembling it. If your going to throw some bucks at it, wait till you can throw all the bucks you need to do the whole thing properly, or what you do sink into it is half wasted. This last bit is just my opinion, but that don't mean it ain't right, lol. Don't mean it is right either, but you get the idea. :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#12 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Thanks Buzz...

So...I have a HIVO cam chain and can't run this one as a replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAM-CHAI ... ccessories

Here's my cam chain on the stock CB750 Nighthawk:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 92/o/m1986

Notice the self-adjusting cam chain tensioner...
This tensioner shows a little wear on the pad parts, but not much. The tensioner shows shades of color in the metal where it slides, but not indentations or anything like that. You can just tell where the tensioner sad in one place for a while.

So I need a real HIVO chain, not this other one with the master link in it? Which is also much cheaper?
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

BuzZz

#13 Unread post by BuzZz »

He he he, don't be thinkin I've ever been inside a CB750... ridden a couple, but that's it. I don't know what type of chain it has stock.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but they sorta look like the same type of chain, and they look like rollers to me. And the ebay chain does claim to fit your bike, it's an EK and not some knock-off company... Worth a shot.....

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#14 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Ah Buzz I'm sorry, I meant I have the stock cam chain in my hand, it's wired up so it doesn't fall into the cases (and it doesn't look worn at all but in this instance that doesn't mean anything). The cylinders and head are off the bike. The chain is certainly a HIVO, not a regular roller-type.

Can I put a roller-type back on to relace this one?
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#15 Unread post by Wrider »

Sorry I didn't jump back in, internet service has been spotty at best... lol
As for your latest question no you can't replace the HIVO with a roller chain. It's because of the widths of the chain and the way the chain and sprocket interact and hold onto each other. :cry:
Otherwise I vote you sell off the bike if you don't want to put any more money into it... Lots of people will pay decent money for a CB750.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

BuzZz

#16 Unread post by BuzZz »

Wrider wrote:.......
Otherwise I vote you sell off the bike if you don't want to put any more money into it... Lots of people will pay decent money for a CB750.

+1 I think... unless the ebay chain is HiVo rather than the generic roller pictured..... feeling lucky? :wink:

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#17 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Yeah the guy on Ebay with the chains won't get back to me.

Buzz or Wrider or anybody who's seen them before, if I send you pics of the boots/sliders (whatever the chain is riding on), would you tell me if they look good to you?

I'm not scared a bit to do the work, I just don't know what parts need it, and can't just buy new parts in all around!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750