Single Carb conversion

TRunner
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1985 Honda XL600R

Single Carb conversion

#1 Unread post by TRunner »

I have a 1985 XL600R that has dual carbs. I just can't seem to get the thing running right. I think it has to do with the dual carbs. I am wondering if it is feasable to modify it to take a single carb. I was thinking of getting a carb from a newer model from a junk yard. I'm not sure if the bolt pattern for the adaptor from the carb to the engine is the same for the dual carb and single carb engines. Sorry to post this without having done a ton of research, I figured that someone out there has to have done this, or have enough experience to know if it is reasonably possible. Any thoughts?
Last edited by TRunner on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by Big B »

i know that was a common problem with older virago's, eventually someone came out with a single carb setup with an intake manifold behind it, seemed to work out well. there might be something like that for your bike.
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

TRunner
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 1985 Honda XL600R

#3 Unread post by TRunner »

Ya, I compared the exploded views of the 88 (which is the first year of the single carb) and my 85, and if the bolt pattern on the head is the same it will be a matter of getting the carb, the adapter, and a new air filter box (with that adapter as well). Hopefully the bolts line up for that. After having rebuilt a 94 XL650 and pulling the engine from the 85 a few times it seems like the frame is nealy identical right there (and most everywhere for that matter). The engine is basically identical too...