Striping the Muffler

Enderhall
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Striping the Muffler

#1 Unread post by Enderhall »

Hey I have a 08 Yamaha v star 650. Anyone familiar with this motorcycle knows its an awesome bike that has pipes that sound weaker than a little girl farting. I dont have alot of spending cash right now but Ive heard you can have the stock pipes slash cut at a machine shop for dirt cheap and then strip the rest of the muffler out and you get some sick pipes.

Im just looking for advice anyone might have. Who else has striped their mufflers on a stock set of pipes? Anything to watch out for?
Cheap Motorcycle Insurance
http://www.motorcycleinsurancecheap.info

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

That will produce a much leaner mixture, which should sound awesome for a while, then get weaker and weaker as you burn holes into the tops of your pistons.

:frusty:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Yes, it can be done, easily and cheap. Yes, you will need to re-jet the carbs (or re-map the ignition if it's EFI). Otherwise you stand to mess up your engine in a big way. It WILL run lean if you don't re-jet after altering the exhaust.

Re-jetting the carbs is best left to a mechanic unless you've been around this kind of thing before, but it sounds like punching out the baffles (stripping the exhaust) is not something you've done before.

If you want more sound from your 650, on a budget, I'd really do some research into some aftermarket pipes that don't require re-jetting, and then go find a used set on Ebay. That, or price out with mechanics in your area who will re-jet and punch out your baffles for you. You should look at independent shops, not just dealerships, for this service. They'll get you up and running, with more sound, for less money than an aftermarket exhaust.

Besides, the fit and finish on the stock exhaust is really pretty good. You are right, the Yamaha Start 650 *is* a great bike, plenty of bike, get it sounding good and enjoy it!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Enderhall
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Enderhall »

So it sounds like in the long run its just cheaper and easyer to get new pipes. Well I guess Ill have to start saving up and find out what I want to get. Any suggestions on brands I should look at? I would like a deep rumbling sound.
Cheap Motorcycle Insurance
http://www.motorcycleinsurancecheap.info

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by coffee_brake »

For the lowest cost?

Jardines.
They aren't as nice as Cobra or Vance and Hines, but they are OK and usually sound very good. I had a set on my first bike, a Suzuki cruiser, and they had a good throaty sound, loud but not obnoxious, like straight pipes.

If you know a decent mechanic, it will still be cheaper to punch out your stock exhaust. Won't hurt to ask, anyway, see what the guy says. Beware the mechanic who says he can make it really loud without re-jetting though.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750