harley 883 L

scbanjoman
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

harley 883 L

#1 Unread post by scbanjoman »

i now have a little over 1200 miles on my sportster,i have added a highway bar and pegs which look sharp,i added a 15 inch windshield it blew my beard in my face and eyes(please dont suggest cutting beard) i traded it for 19 inch it does the same thing,so i dont know what to do about that,when i had my sportster serviced they told me it wouldnt get any louder,but i saw one today a few years older everything looks the same and it sounds good,one more thing,hope im posting this in right thing,my solo seat is killing me,would like to get a gel cover or something,but dont know if they make them for mine,i had the shocks raised and that made bumps a little better,

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Every single windshield in the world is going to cause that updraft that puts your beard in your face. Just take the windshield off and ride a few hundred miles; you'll find it's a better solution. That, or start wearing a scarf all the time. Or braid it and tuck it in your jacket, I've seen a few hard-core riders do that too.

Honestly, and no hostility or anything to any rider here...a windshield was never intended to be on a Sportster except for maybe the rare long trip. Good gear will do the job of a windshield, and better.

I like Sporties a whole bunch. If you want more sound, you can either change the pipes or punch holes in your baffles. Watch out, though, because either one of these will require re-jetting the carbs or re-mapping the fuel injection, depending on which one you have. This costs more money at the shop. You can mess with the carbs yourself but you can't adjust the FI without a bunch of special computer software. Don't let anybody tell you that they can punch out the baffles in the pipes and make you sound loud for cheap; that's not true. You WILL run lean and possibly cause damage to your engine, if the carb is not altered along with the pipes.

My only suggestion for your seat is to try an aftermarket like a Corbin. I run a Corbin on all my bikes and I had one on my Dyna too, a sweet little solo seat that didn't hurt at all. Just remember that extra padding/gel/foam just wads up in your tush area and makes it hurt worse. I find that a good hard seat like the Corbin feels like a cafeteria chair in the morning, and then at night it still feels like a cafeteria chair--not a torture rack.

A Sportie CAN do long-distance comfort, but not without some upgrades. Picking your shocks back up to the right height is a good first step. Might want to look into some Progressive front springs too, to keep the wallowing down.

You have a great blank canvas of a bike in front of you, keep us posted!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

scbanjoman
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by scbanjoman »

thanks a lot,that helped about the beard,i think the sheild is coming off