flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

Looking for opinions for son's (16) project bike

#1 Unread post by flw »

My son is 16 and I want to get him a project bike that if it works when he is done, he can ride or sell it.

I'm thinking of single cylinder, carb, 4 cycle and it be a dual purpose (on and off road) bike with engine less than 150 cc's. I realize some items may require a few professional mechanics hours at the most.

1. Now your opinon taking into account what I just said what make/model would you suggest? Initial cost must be < $1,000 .

2. What symptoms should I not except for this project? He has most hand tools but he cannot weld. He will have the service manual and/or restore book available to him for the bike.

Note: I want the odds in his favor, if he puts full effort into it, so no muti-year jobs or obscure to U.S. general puplic. In one year with some limited help from me, he should be able to complete and claim credit for himself.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Looking for opinions for son's (16) project bike

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Honestly I'd go looking for an older KLR650. You can pick up the older ones for cheap, they're basically interchangeable for 20 years, easy to work on, good dual sports, touring capable, and once you get them running they're freaking bulletproof.

EDIT: Just read the under 150ccs part. Honestly you probably won't find a dualsport under that displacement... That's kid's dirtbike, scooter, and BN125 (Kawasaki Eliminator) territory. Especially not here in the US.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

Any special reason for the bike needing to be <150cc? The list of dual purpose bikes that small is pretty short, and lots of the choices are newer models and not resto candidates.

Just off the top of my head....

Honda XL's.... been made since the 70's, came in 80, 125, 185/200, 250cc....
This would be my pick, in a 250 flavor. It will be the easiest to sell after, and probably make the most, by $100 or so.

Suzuki DR's.... made since the 80's, came in most of the same sizes as the Hondas. Less popular.

Yamaha XT's/TW's.... basically the same production life as Honda, can't remember if they made smaller displacements but the 200/225 /250 has a good following.

Kawasaki KE's..... made in the 70's/80's, made smaller displacements, not very popular then, less now, might be hard to get parts.

I'm sure there must be some bikes I'm missing, but they will be relatively rare and harder to restore.

I'd go with a mid 80's Honda XL-250. Good bike, easier to re-sell, parts might be easier to get (maybe not from the factory, but has the strongest aftermarket and OEM retailer network).

That's my :twocents:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#4 Unread post by flw »

The reason for less than 150'cc is that in IL, that's the max for anyone under 18.

Dan
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

Then I would look for an XL-125.

150cc seems like an awfully small limit. It sure limits the number of bikes people can learn on. I'd have thought 250cc at least.....
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Yeah I'm with Buzzz then on the smaller XLs.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha