New Rider with Questions on performance.

Sneekee853
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1999 Suzuke Intruder Vl1500

New Rider with Questions on performance.

#1 Unread post by Sneekee853 »

I just got my bike last month and I'm loving it! I have actually put a thousand miles on it in just a few weeks. I have made two trips to Vegas from SW Utah to ride with friends. What a blast!!! I got a 1999 Suzuki Vl1500 it has Cobra pipes and I think it has been Jetted. Other that that I don't think it has any other performance parts.. I'm just trying to get some ideas on what you can do to these bikes to get a little more out of them? Without loosing reliability and longevity. I would appreciate any suggestions or tips..

Thanks!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: New Rider with Questions on performance.

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome2: Sneekee853 to the Total Motorcycle Community!

Sounds like you had an awesome motorcycle trip to Las Vegas, something I'd love to do myself on my bike in the future. Hopefully you have some photos you can post to share of your ride.

About increasing the performance for your 1999 Suzuki VL1500. From the sounds of it you have one what you can that is cost effective for an increase in performance. The only other suggestions are to drop in a K&N air filter in there and change the sparkplugs to the top end iridium type (this mod might not make any difference, some say it does, others no, but its a $10 upgrade so...) also changing the ignition coils and plus wires to mid/top line ones will help too.

Remember more power = Fuel + Air + Spark

You can also break out the wallet and do internal engine work, but it's expensive.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey there, welcome to the boards!

As far as improving your performance. Honestly there's not much to do to those without breaking out big bucks. You could do cams of course but those are pricey to buy and pricey to install. I'm with Mike on an air filter and spark plugs. Hyperchargers don't make too much of a difference, but do make some. They also dirty your air filter faster. After those three and if you're properly jetted then you're looking at lifting the valve cover and that's where expensive stuff begins!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:After those three and if you're properly jetted then you're looking at lifting the valve cover and that's where expensive stuff begins!
I'll second what Wrider has said. Doing almost any interior engine work isn't cheap and will cost you in labor fees as the engine might have to be pulled from the bike to be worked on. While some bikes are easier to remove the engine from the bike others are not so easy and require special tools and time.

Also, what is it about the performance you want to improve?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

You could always go custom supercharger. I just saw one on a V-max last week. It cost about $2500 but that bike purred
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

fzrbiker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1992/yamaha/fzr

#6 Unread post by fzrbiker »

Hello and welcome, for bolt on parts get aftermarket filter like knn, also you can upgrade your ignition system to produce more spark as other forumer stated.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Nice. I need to try my hand at thread resurrection ;)
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars