flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

Possible helmet change to modular if fits over glasses

#1 Unread post by flw »

I currently have a full face helment and would like to replace it with a modular that would also open/close over my glasses.

I'm not looking for a snell helmet just a very well vented modular helmet that opens/closes over my glasses.

I know I have to try it one but before I go looking I would like some of your opinions. Brands and models please.

Thank you.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

Re: Possible helmet change to modular if fits over glasses

#2 Unread post by dirt dobber »

i have a HJC modular sy-maxII it has sun vison that is retractible & you can wear it with your glasses on. you have to take glasses off to put helment on & then put your glasses on. i know because i just tried it. i don't wear glasses except to read. i bought it about 3 yr. ago 249.00 + tax at a yamaha dealer. i broke the sun visor, cleaning it got it off side pen (holder) & retracted it and it broke off at the top, (holder). order a new 1 on line about 32$ with shipping. it's vented good. when i had tmax scooter i didn't have a lot of wind comming up under it like i do now with my H_D. you can get a chin curting to stop that. might be hot in summer. you'll need antifog in damp weather. breathing will fog it up, i don't have a breathing guard i think's it called. my head don't sweat, period...(don't forget to close vents if caught in rain, i have). i've rode in upper 90's. also get a strip called speed tint (like windshield on a car) put inside your clear shield at top so you can ride into sun. you can get it at any cycle gear & some motorcycle dealer. i've posted this in (photo gallery). a reply came back saying you could get friction tint (have to cut to fit) at local auto supply, i hadn't checked that out. :heat:
Last edited by dirt dobber on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Are Zeus Helmets distributed where you are? The Zeus ZS-3000 is, IIRC, the only flip-up with a SNELL rating, and it's pretty cheap (US$180-200). I like Caberg helmets too, you might be interested in either the Konda or Sintesi; good value for the money.

Ps, re the glasses thing, I find it handy to wear a balaclava or buff then wear your glasses with the arms underneath the balaclava. Makes it less likely that your glasses will come off your face when you take off the helmet.

Pps, make sure to try them on; most of the flip-ups I've tried have less chin room compared to a full face (it's one of the reasons why I went back to a full face and just lived with the hassle of glasses).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

profdan
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0

#4 Unread post by profdan »

I'm required to wear glasses. I had read that with modular helmets, you didn't need to take off your glasses before donning or removing the helmet.

When I mentioned that to the salesperson, he had me try on both types of full-face helmets. I found that I had to remove my glasses with both types. So, I didn't buy the modular since it was more expensive, and didn't save any steps for me.

I bought the HJC CL-16 Hellion model. Later, I order a dark smoke sun screen, and that I'd recommend!

Harvey
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR, Honda Shadow RS

#5 Unread post by Harvey »

I have a Nolan N90 and I like it. I can put the helmet on and take it off without removing my glasses.
I put the N-Com bluetooth in it mainly so I can hear my GPS. I don't need sunglasses because it has an internal flip down tinted visor.