GBarts59
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha XJ550

carb adjustment 1981 XJ550 Maxim

#1 Unread post by GBarts59 »

Is there a "tool" that makes adjusting the carbs easier?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: carb adjustment 1981 XJ550 Maxim

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Gary and welcome to the forum. The only thing I can think of is a long .5 screwdriver or maybe a 90° screwdriver. Good luck.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I don't know the bike or the geometry at all so this might not work.

There are kits of tools with flexible shaft handles and changeable bits available which can be used to manipulate screws in locations where a regular hard-shaft screwdriver or nut driver won't fit. (I've been given two of these kits over the years)
The flex shafts aren't strong for cinching things down but they are good for adjustments in awkward places. (I think I have a long and a short flex handle from Sears)

In the Olden Days there actually was such a tool called a GM distributor points adjuster which was a screwdriver handle on a long flexible shaft with an allen wrench bit that exactly fit the distributor points adjusting screw in GM distributors. It was absolutely necessary because of the inaccessible locations the factories put for the distributor access doors on the distributor caps.
(I still have this tool.)
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Give a mercury carburetor synchronizer a try. Mechanic's swear by them (and at them too!) for decades. :D

http://www.bing.com/search?q=mercury+ca ... 8cdcaa7f58

NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnj
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

Instead of paying big bucks for one of those units you can make your own manometer for around $12. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34471
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.