faded sun
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

cruise control throttle lock for an ST 1100

#1 Unread post by faded sun »

I am getting a Honda ST 1100 in the spring to increase my comfort and that of my favorite passenger on longer rides. Only thing missing from this machine is a throttle lock for long stretches of time. I would like to get input on what brands anyone thinks are good or bad and if this is a modification that a reasonably handy person can do themselves or if it should be done in a shop. I do have a shop that I go to regularly, so it's not a problem that way.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. And thank you for reading this post.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: cruise control throttle lock for an ST 1100

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I've never used a throttle lock or throttle assist product myself, but I've looked into them and one thing I can say for certain is, don't skimp. A throttle lock can be a very dangerous thing if it's poorly designed or improperly installed.

My recommendation from what I've read is the BrakeAway Products Cruise Control. It allows fast, simple engagement and disengagement, and it allows you to adjust the throttle through it's entire range while the lock is applied. That is, is simply holds the throttle instead of locking the throttle.

For installation, only you can decide if it's within your abilities or if you need to seek a professional. If you're unsure at all, I'd go with the professional though. And hey, while the lock's being installed, you might as well get some custom grips right? (-:

Whatever you decide on, be sure to fill us in on the process and let us know what you think of the product you eventually go with.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

I've used several brands of throttle locks over the years and IMO the best one is Vista Cruse. Very easy to install and operate and, unlike most other brands, it can be ordered for a specific bike.

"Throttle Lock" is a bit misleading of a name, as it implies the throttle cannot be moved once the lock is engaged. The key to any throttle lock is to install and adjust it properly. Proper adjustment is when it holds the throttle at any position, but can easily be rotated as necessary without effort. I do not like the systems that require you to touch the brake lever to disengage, as there are certain conditions where tapping the front brake is the last thing you want to do. Regardless, though, it should still be adjusted so that the throttle can easily be moved as necessary.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

I am a cheapskate and made my own. I simply took a wire hanger, straightened it out, then wrapped it around the grip, twisting it back together just slightly longer than the brake lever. I cut it off, then covered it with 2 layers of shrink wrap. I have it right enough that it holds its grip, but loose enough that it can still be moved. The brake lever holds it in place, but I can easily twist the throttle back if need be.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

I'm with the breakaway. I loved the one I put on the Valkyrie, it releases with the application of your front break or by the manual release... Made of billet aluminium, just south of Portland Oregon.

http://brakeawayproducts.com/movies/Brakeaway_sm.wmv
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Got a throttle lock on the Connie, used a couple of times, mainly only when I had to adjust my right rear view mirror while riding. Never really like them much to be honest.
Always ask why.

Umair77
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

#7 Unread post by Umair77 »

I am a cheapskate and made my own. I simply took a wire hanger, straightened it out, then wrapped it around the grip, twisting it back together just slightly longer than the brake lever. I cut it off, then covered it with 2 layers of shrink wrap. I have it right enough that it holds its grip, but loose enough that it can still be moved. The brake lever holds it in place, but I can easily twist the throttle back if need be. :kicking: :cowboy: :starwars:
Johni Imtiaz..!!