ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

Re: Stopped by police!!!!

#41 Unread post by ofblong »

SportsterKing wrote:I'm a fairly new rider, learned in NY with some hardcore riders, white lining like a manic, non-DOT helmet, illegal pipes, I always dress in "bad "O Ring"" attire, etc. Amazingly not pulled over yet. Some of the stuff I do on the bike I'm surprised I haven't been nailed but like I said, I rode with some hardcore people who could spot cops well over the years. A quick tap of the hand on the helmet and you know to back off whatever you're doing. I did have to stop at a road block once and knew my pipes were too loud. I saw the road block as I was going onto the parkway and just clutched in and let off the throttle to quiet the bike down and then started to break, thankfully they waved me on.

My question, though, what's the best procedures for when you get stopped while on a bike? I know in a car it's turn off the engine, even remove the keys and put them on the dash and keep your hands in sight. I'm assuming turning off the bike as well but do you stay on the bike? Get off? Put your hands to the side or keep them on the handlebars?

Jude

The one time I got pulled over (guy was trying to catch me without an endorsement/insurance) I just turned the bike off pulled the keys then took my helmet off set it on the ground. Told him where my insurance etc papers were and he never said a word until after I handed him the stuff about move here or move there. I guess it depends on if he things you are going to be a threat or not.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#42 Unread post by Johnj »

Safely pull over and use your kill switch. Wait with your hands on the bars for the nice officer to tell you what to do.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#43 Unread post by ofblong »

Johnj wrote:Safely pull over and use your kill switch. Wait with your hands on the bars for the nice officer to tell you what to do.

Yup and I have met 1 cop who was not nice in my life. Course he really did not like me when I called him out on lieing and I won :D. Tried to tell me the law stated something it did not and when I asked him to prove it to me he spent the next hour trying to find the answer he thought should be but never could :D. Course I was at my house so I had to stay at home for an hour but I was enjoying my kids playing so did not bother me one bit :D.

Either way I think he likes me even less now after proving him wrong :D.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#44 Unread post by JVRR »

In the car, a lot. No tickets on my record, which is curious since I have some... Three to be exact, one was deferred (doesn't show up on employment/insurance record), one was changed to tabs (local [Spokane] thing they do to help people with good records) and a seatbelt ticket. None of which should pop up on my simple records (well tabs do), but should on advanced. For some reason they don't 8).

I got pulled over the other day for talking on my cell phone. I noticed the cop behind me sitting there doing nothing and I just groaned. Sure enough thirty seconds my dad rolls up glaring at me. :lol: Sometimes its nice when your dad is a cop, sometimes its just more humiliating :lol:.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)