Total votes: 6

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#21 Unread post by Johnj »

Back in the late 70s I got stopped all the time. It was like a game for the cops. During the 80s and 90 I rode stock looking bikes and didn't look like a hood, so I got pulled over less. I haven't been pulled over for 10 or 12 years.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#22 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Fast Eddy B wrote: "I couldn't possibly have been weaving, I CAN'T EVEN KNIT!!!!!"
hehe, I so have to use that one once I'm a little older.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#23 Unread post by safety-boy »

Not stopped, but...

Was taking the freeway into base one day. Was not on base yet. Was on the Ninja 636 with the 30-day tag :naughty: Hit 85 while still on the ramp and saw a quick blue flash behind me. It was an MP, but not being on base I imagine he could have written a ticket.

I typically stick to the "don't be the fastest thing on the road" rule. Let the a-hole in the BMW get the ticket :-D
kilroy wrote:...the law needs to concentrate on the cagers with cell phones...
I was behind a cager reading the paper while driving yesterday :mad2: - not the first time, and likely not the last.

--Dave
Don't think of it as a stop light. Think of it as a chance-to-show-off light.

Vulcan 900 Classic LT (2007)
Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#24 Unread post by Social Distortion »

i live in the suburbs of Chicago in a city called Naperville.
Its suppose to be the top 2 or 3 cities in the US to live in.
Good clean community, good schools, expensive homes and lotta rich folks ( except for me).
The downside ( or upside depending on how you see this) is that the cops really do a good job of keeping troublemakers out, which i guess means they have a negative attotude towards motorcycle riders. In my downtown, which is very nice, i am told and havent been able to varify, they there is an ordanance that does not allow motorcycles on the main street on the weekends. I've gotten pulled over countless times riding my stock Yamaha V Star 650...no mods to pipes ( yet), no crazy paint job, i wear a helmet and my leathers and i can count on getting pulled over 1 time per month.
the check my papers, look over my Motorcycle-as if they are looking for something to be wrong with it, sit in thier car and check thier computer ( and hop on the internet to see if the local dunkin donutes is still open) and tell me all checks out and to be "careful w/ my speed". Now i dont know what thats suppose to mean but it gets old.
Cant wait to put some Ape Hangers on my V Star and do some pipe modifications...that'll give those coppers somethng to pull me over for and maybe next time, when i get pulled over, i'll address the cops in Spanish and tell them that "no hablo ingles".
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#25 Unread post by ofblong »

Social Distortion wrote:i live in the suburbs of Chicago in a city called Naperville.
Good clean community, good schools, expensive homes and lotta rich folks ( except for me).
The downside ( or upside depending on how you see this) is that the cops really do a good job of keeping troublemakers out, which i guess means they have a negative attotude towards motorcycle riders. In my downtown, which is very nice, i am told and havent been able to varify, they there is an ordanance that does not allow motorcycles on the main street on the weekends. I've gotten pulled over countless times riding my stock Yamaha V Star 650...no mods to pipes ( yet), no crazy paint job, i wear a helmet and my leathers and i can count on getting pulled over 1 time per month.
the check my papers, look over my Motorcycle-as if they are looking for something to be wrong with it, sit in thier car and check thier computer ( and hop on the internet to see if the local dunkin donutes is still open) and tell me all checks out and to be "careful w/ my speed". Now i dont know what thats suppose to mean but it gets old.
Cant wait to put some Ape Hangers on my V Star and do some pipe modifications...that'll give those coppers somethng to pull me over for and maybe next time, when i get pulled over, i'll address the cops in Spanish and tell them that "no hablo ingles".
in the us thats harrassment and you can actually sue the police department for that. If you dont get a ticket next time get a badge number maybe even a recording device for the conversation and then take em to court.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#26 Unread post by safety-boy »

Social Distortion wrote:...the check my papers, look over my Motorcycle-as if they are looking for something to be wrong with it...
While a pain in the "O Ring", they might be looking out for stolen bikes? At one time I had heard the V-Star 1100 was the most stolen bike in the country. Since most people don't know a Suzuki from Shinola, a bike is a bike. After my bike was stolen I said if I were a cop, I'd run tags on any customized sport bike I saw. Which is the weird part about being pulled over - why don't they just run the tags without pulling bikes over?

I believe Illinois is fairly liberal toward motorcycles - no helmet law, correct? Complain to the state DOT. If the cops call anything in, there is a record. If they never had a reason to write a ticket, then they are harassing you.

--Dave

Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#27 Unread post by Social Distortion »

ofblong wrote:
Social Distortion wrote:i live in the suburbs of Chicago in a city called Naperville.
in the us thats harrassment and you can actually sue the police department for that. If you dont get a ticket next time get a badge number maybe even a recording device for the conversation and then take em to court.
you know, i've thought about that, but like so many stories you've heard before, at those moments, i just want the whole ordeal to be over with. Having a short fuse, sometimes, id rather get the check done w/ than open my mouth and say something i'd regret. I'm the kinda person who if i were to get cut off and almost go down, i'd have no problem pulling up to the car, getting off my MC and sharing a choice few words ( and bending an antena or two). But i think in order for this stuff to stop, someone's gotta say something- hopefully i'll do something next time vs. roll over and be a lamb...ohh and if you hear of a biker getting beat down by the cops in the Chicago burbs...that'll be me...hahhha

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#28 Unread post by Social Distortion »

safety-boy wrote:
Social Distortion wrote:...the check my papers, look over my Motorcycle-as if they are looking for something to be wrong with it...
While a pain in the "O Ring", they might be looking out for stolen bikes? At one time I had heard the V-Star 1100 was the most stolen bike in the country. Since most people don't know a Suzuki from Shinola, a bike is a bike. After my bike was stolen I said if I were a cop, I'd run tags on any customized sport bike I saw. Which is the weird part about being pulled over - why don't they just run the tags without pulling bikes over?

I believe Illinois is fairly liberal toward motorcycles - no helmet law, correct? Complain to the state DOT. If the cops call anything in, there is a record. If they never had a reason to write a ticket, then they are harassing you.

--Dave
gotta good point there
you know, when you use your credit card and ppl ask for your photo id, i am usually thankful that atleast they are checking....though i can easily turn that around and yell out discrimination or profiling..so its how you set your opinion to it.
Illinois is a great state to ride in and our ABATE is awsome. Its just this suburb i live in...guess the city wants to keep bikers out, which sucks, but until i move, i'll need to deal.
Oddly enough, i've never had the same cop pull me over twice...

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#29 Unread post by safety-boy »

Social Distortion wrote:...Its just this suburb i live in...guess the city wants to keep bikers out...
Sounds like a town near where I used to live. Cops were traffic only. I saw a cop once pull away from writing a ticket, pull someone else over immediately, and on my way back he had another one!

Guess you gotta do something between doughnuts. :naughty:

--Dave

Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

deiselpower
Rookie
Rookie

#30 Unread post by deiselpower »

I was visiting my oldest daughter at work one day.....left her store, pulled out of my parking space, working my way across this big strip mall lot.....not speeding, nor making a bunch of noise....and suddenly a city cop was behind me....lit up.....I hadnt driven a quarter mile ! He said my bike was too loud ! Now, I had just a week prior , installed a set of vance and hines straight shots....with baffles....which the cop said were illegal ! And my old helmet didnt have a DOT sticker....cuz it fell off years ago....so he said my helmet was Illegal, and my sunglasses didnt have a correct shatterproof marking ! I guess he didnt like my helmet sticker either that said " If its too loud, youre too old! ". My neighbor knew the cop, and said he thinks that the cop was mad cuz my bike sounds better than the cops does! I was pissed off after sitting there,on the side of a busy thouroughfare, like a lawbreaker, during lunch hour....for at least 25 minutes.....while he even looked at my serial numbers....and the pipe logos....I asked if he'd ever heard of " loud pipes save lives"....and he said no.......and that I have to take the bike home and put the old pipes back on.....get a new helmet, and new GOGGLES ! I paid the $77 dollar impropper equipment ticket, and stil faithfully ride my same bike, with same helmet, and glasses....Oh....Noise is officers disgression here....You cant fight it.....one cop says its fine, another says too loud...You still get the ticket.....dont use decibel meter either....Judge doesnt want to hear any testimoney .....OOOOO what fun !
Honest OSSIFER...I wasnt speedin,,,I was Qualifyn ! And Im not as think as u drunk I am ! '02 Suzuki Volusia and The new family member is a '06 Yamaha Stratoliner S