I just went down but am OK bike has minor damage

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 29
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha FZ1

#21 Unread post by liablemtl »

We're invisible to cars... trust me. I had some stupid tw@t turn left from a side road into my lane today... the only problem was that she was turning left and into the opposing lane of traffic (she was intending to go the opposite direction I was). I was glad it was a protected signal and I was stopped at the red light. The car in the lane to the right of me was on the horn while I was busy flipping up the face on my helmet (modular) and screaming at her for almost running into me, head on, while I was stopped! She had the f&%king nerve to shrug her shoulders, back her car up and then drive on. I wanted to kill her.

My first wreck was just like yours except that the stupid mentally challenged behind the wheel continued all the way into my lane before realizing that I was bearing down on her and then stopped. I locked up both wheels and slid into the side of her car. I hit hard enough to throw me over the handlebars and down the side of the car... at least my body broke all of her windows on the passenger side and my bike totalled her car too!

I freaking hate other drivers... seriously.

I'm sorry you laid it down. In the State of Oregon, the other driver would most likely been cited for failure to yield (if they could be caught). Glad to hear your gear did it's job... the bike can be fixed. Good luck... and watch out for cagers. They ARE trying to kill us, you know.
We're the first ones to starve
We're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
But we're always the last
When the gravy's shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

TheImp
Elite
Elite

#22 Unread post by TheImp »

I feel for you man, I hope your costs are minimal. I know if I were there in a cage or bike witnessing that, I'd go straight for the runaway driver and grab their plate number, shame no one else did.

MrGompers wrote: If someone was in the right lane I could've been run over.
If you had a car in the right lane next to you then you could have ridden close by so that the driver would be more likely to see approaching traffic and would have been more likely to stay put. I try to do that wherever I can or position myself in the right lane or approach slow enough to hit the brakes. I do countersteer the handlebars to rock back and forth sometimes too in the daytime. Left turners are nothing to mess with, they're one of the most common collisions out there on the road.
"There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true."
- Sir Winston Churchill
06 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 Ltd.

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#23 Unread post by MrGompers »

The cagers certainly are trying to kill us. The thing you said about failure to yield would be true here too I suppose. I didn't think of that one. Sorry to here about your accident. I was thinking that I would hit the side of the cage too. Luckily, I didn't. I really didn't want a hi-side with all those other cages around. Didn't want to get run over. I almost kept the bike up & lost it at the last second. If I did manage to keep it up I would've chased that asshat down.

Just last week a cage pulled a left in front of me while on a cell phone. Luckily, I was only going about 10mph & was able to stop. Its against the law to use a hand held cell phone here while driving too. These people will never learn I guess. I don't know whats so hard about it. I've been driving a cage for 20 yrs now & have never had a close call with a bike. It baffles the mind.

XJRJohn
Elite
Elite

#24 Unread post by XJRJohn »

campthepyro is right,these people need educating,by throwing their cars off a cliff,revoking their liecence and having their genitals given a good kicking.that,ll teach em.xjrjohn
biking isnt a matter of life or death,its far more important(bill shankley,well almost)

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 29
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha FZ1

#25 Unread post by liablemtl »

No worries about my accident. That one was back in 1989. Since then I've only had a lowside (my fault) and got rear-ended a couple of years ago. I agree with XJRJohn... the cagers may, I repeat, MAY finally understand their responsibilites. :laughing: But not likely. :wink:
We're the first ones to starve
We're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
But we're always the last
When the gravy's shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#26 Unread post by MrGompers »

TheImp wrote:I feel for you man, I hope your costs are minimal. I know if I were there in a cage or bike witnessing that, I'd go straight for the runaway driver and grab their plate number, shame no one else did.
Yes it's disappointing that no one stopped to offer help & check on my condition. After I picked up my bike looked it over & got it started the hi-beam was on. I didn't have it on before I went down so I must've hit the button during the ruckus. Some asshat in the opposing lane (who witnessed this) actually had the audacity to flash his hi-beams at me to get me to turn mine off. I felt like going over there to "dog" him out. No concern at all for other people.

Thats the way it is in Conn tho. People are very self centered here and never show compassion for others. Plus Conn has the worst drivers I have ever seen (excluding NYC). That fact was a real concern for me when deciding to learn how to ride. Obviously, I went for it anyways and will continue. This is a lesson learned and hopefully others can learn from it too. I hope it won't take too long to get the parts for my bike. I would think a honda dealer has footpegs in stock.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#27 Unread post by dr_bar »

I think a big public trial where the cager gets taken to the cleaners might, and I mean , "MIGHT" make others open there eyes and pay attention. The fear of losing money seems to do that to most people...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#28 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Someone tried to pull out in front of me the other day... There was no one in front of me or behind me... or in the other lane. (I was in the left of 2 lanes on a 3 lane road... they were making a left turn to go the opposite direction.

I laid on my horn as I saw their wheels starting to move... I could tell they saw me, but just wanted to wait.. but they ended up stopping, blocking the first lane of traffic. I stopped my bike right in front of their car (I had plenty of room to stop before them since I was anticipating this, so this was my choice), and pointed for them to back up into the driveway where they were. (it looked like a highschool kid). He sat there for a second, until I started to get off my bike... he backed up and in the driveway. I gave him the signal for "Keep your #$@#$ eyes open", and then drove away.

I do like the horn idea... it still doesn't guarantee that the person will see you, but it gives you a little more of a chance if you notice a potentially dangerous situation.

Now, would I have done that if I saw a big giant body builder in the car? Probably not... but scaring a punk highschooler into paying attention and giving respect to bikes seemed like a good idea at the time.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#29 Unread post by CNF2002 »

I'm shocked that no one stopped or went after the driver who caused the accident.

I've never witnessed an accident in my life that I haven't stopped for, even if it was just to just talk to other witnesses and let them know what I saw.

Never seen a bike accident, but I can't imagine no one stopping to make sure you are okay...I just dont understand how people can live their lives like that. If I drove away after seeing an accident, I'd hate myself for months.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

rodzbike
Elite
Elite

#30 Unread post by rodzbike »

It's amazing how non confrontational people are when they know they've just f%$#ed up. Even blue hairs haul @ss after they've done something like that.
~~~2000 GXSR 750~~~
~~~2005 VTX 1300C~~~
Dr. Rod of Satan's Barbers MC