How to Handle Gravel on a Curve

ArcticHarleyMan
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by ArcticHarleyMan »

If you find the back end sliding out, just ride it out, keep loose, turn into the slide, but not near as much as you would as if in a cage. A slow speed slide could very easily turn into a low-side, but a higher speed slide could turn into the dreaded high-side. If you start to slide because you have locked the rear brake, KEEP on the brake until the bike is straight. Only when the bike is straight should you release the brake, otherwise you may end up in one of the two situations described above. Also stay off the front brake when in a slide, again until you have straightened out.

But practice slides and recoveries in a safe place. :santa:

accoutred
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by accoutred »

The signs for 20 mph turns are posted for *lame* cars. (I don't like cars)
Taking the turn at 35-40 is probably no big deal. If you guys have been riding a year so he probably knew the turn pretty well from riding it before. If he knows the turn from experience he probably wouldn't gas it and go faster than the turn would permit.

The traction on a bike when it's turning is alot less when going in a steep turn at 35-40 on a 20mph turn. (Hell I do 60mph on a 25 with skinny '70 cb350 tires) Aside from the loss of traction on the bike, the center of gravity on a bike is way different then when upright. So he's going with less traction and a bent center of gravity on gravel and then slips up. Makes sense. I've never had trouble at all with gravel and I ride on/around rail road tracks if I'm in a hurry. But I'm usually upright.

But then if it was my son and it was his first time riding that road through, without a doubt I would just accuse him for taking a turn to fast. It's a common mistake amoung all riders of all experience.

CycleNewb
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by CycleNewb »

accoutred wrote:The signs for 20 mph turns are posted for *lame* cars. (I don't like cars)
Taking the turn at 35-40 is probably no big deal.....
Um, Maybe I'm new to all of this, but I'd think that doubling the speed limit on a turn, regardless as to 2 wheels or 4 is asking for an accident.

Flting Duck
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by Flting Duck »

This is a good reason why you should, as I put it, "leave 20% on the table" - in other words, ride well within your limits. That way, when something unexpected happens, you have some ability to compensate.

I've ridden on the order of 60-70k miles and have never been taken down by gravel. And it's not because I"m not an aggressive rider as I am a fairly agreessive rider. However, I am always looking at the pavement through the turn long before I get there so I can see gravel and other stuff. I find that if I'm looking ahead and see some gravel (ruts, ripples, leaves, whatever) that I can apply some extra brake before entering the turn and take the turn at a slower speed than if the pavement were "perfect."

There's really no cause for a rider being taken down by gravel other than rider error as fas as I'm concerned. (I've gone down a couple of times for other reasons though - and both of those were rider(my) error so please don't take my post as a holier than thou post.)
93 BMW K1100LT "The Green Hornet"
91 BMW K100RS 4V "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#15 Unread post by Sicko »

I was riding last weekend when I came upon a load of rocks that a dump truck must have dumped in the middle of the road. From a distance it looked like a discolored patch in the road and I was going about 60mph. Fortunately, I was able to recognize it for what it was in time to take evasive action. I hope no other biker who was less fortunate than me came along later. I did report it to the police but they acted like that couldn't care less. Be always on the look out for road hazards of all kinds, people.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#16 Unread post by ofblong »

well I must be lucky cause whenever my rear tire has gone out I have yet to want to even attempt to hit the brake. I have yet to go down and the only time ive had the rear tire start to slip was on ice and I didnt go down. I did what was mentioned above and just kept on the throttle and let the bike go where it wanted to go. I came out just fine.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

andrwhock
Veteran
Veteran

#17 Unread post by andrwhock »

First of all, I'm glad everyone is ok.

In a tight corner, any change of power to the rear tire could potentially cause a loss of control. Think if it as if the bike's rear tire can only use 100% traction. With no change to the power, all of that 100% can be applied to steering. Using a bit of that 100% for speeding up/slowing down while still trying to apply 100% of the traction for turning would result in a sliding or locked rear tire regardless of gravel. This is an over simplified way of talking about it bit it gives a decent idea, and also can show how to roll on the throttle as you're straightening out.

davefarry
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport

Re: How to Handle Gravel on a Curve

#18 Unread post by davefarry »

Hi guys.

Yeah its an adrenaline shot when you overcook a corner. Or as in this case the back end kicks out.

I had a few instances that could have been nasty had oncoming traffic been an issue.

When you realize your too fast there is precious time to hit the front brake hard. To do this the bike stands up and your going staight at the ditch.

Cant get the bike over to make the turn! Practiced counter steering allows for the bike to start the turn safely as you control the hard braking!

When the back end slips out, its either the engine or the brakes causing resitance to break free otherwise the front wheel would have skipped put too! Clutch in brakes off and countersteer into the slide. Practice this on a pedal bike down a wet grassy hill to get the feel for it.

Countersteering is a life saver. It needs to be a reflex so practice it! Try and counter steer for all your turns.

Hope this helps.