Lane Spliting

MakeCarsStandSTill
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Lane Spliting

#1 Unread post by MakeCarsStandSTill »

Can someone explain to me what lane splitting is, ive never heard of it, i kinda get the general idea, its where you pass someone in the same lane or???????

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by Andrew »

Ask VermillionX...he's had recent experience.

I'm sure you've seen it. People riding between lanes of traffic during rush hour or at a stop light/sign. I know it's legal in CA, but don't know of any others. Apparently, some studies have actually said that it is more safe than just sitting in traffic.

Just need to be very careful of other cars...
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

It's where you ride down the white line between two cars, effectively "splitting the lane." In most places in North America it's illegal, Cali is the only place I know of that quasi allows it.

Things you need to think about beyond the potential legal repercusions include:
Cars change lanes at stupid times, for stupid reasons: don't get in the way
Your bars are really close to car mirrors
Some jackass might literally open a door into you, just to hurt you
Spaces can narrow and trap you
And you gotta get AWAY from the light ASAP and back to a real lane after it turns from red to green. You don't want to stay between cars any longer then have to.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Dichotomous
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Dichotomous »

I semi do this, illegal or not, but when the lane is getting stopped and there is room and between cars (sorta, but they are still moving and going, but a bit of room) I'll sneak past, and definately when I'm at a line for the straight lane and want to sneak around to get to an empty turning lane.
[img]http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/19909/bike%20girl%20bannar.JPG[/img]
Theres just something about a blue bike....
Throttle on man, Throttle on....

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2004 Ducati 620ie

#5 Unread post by SuperRookie »

I 'split' when I can...especially on the LIE during rush hour...sometimes that thing is a parking lot.
"Not just your 'ordinary' Rookie..."

Tarzan
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Tarzan »

I rarely split, mainly because cagers in rush hour are all idiots.
The only time I will always split is on the motorway when the traffic has slowed to 15mph or less because of an accident. Even when the traffic has slowed to a crawl like that there will still be a few cars for every mile I filter that move to try and block my path. I always move slowly past the cars not to aggravate them and I usually have to move out of the way of other bikers who want to lane split faster.
It's because of those issues that mean I'd rather sit in a queue of traffic with the cars.
1998 Suzuki GSX750F - all fixed but seriously multi-coloured...

TeamONEinc
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by TeamONEinc »

If its legal in your state, be sure to stay in one lane when you split. Its legal in California but if a cop were to see your bike going over the white line recklessly into both lanes, he can pull you over for changing lanes without a signal, and a list of other citations...I've seen it happen but the only reason the guy got caught is cuz the Deputy was a motor and not a patrol car.
2003 Yamaha R6.

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by dieziege »

If I'm sharing and do need to cross the line (e.g. someone is crowding right to block), I always hit my turn signal for just that reason... 99.999% of the time it is a waste of the switch, but it's still a good habit to keep.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2004 Ducati 620ie

#9 Unread post by SuperRookie »

Tarzan wrote:...when the traffic has slowed to 15mph or less ....
That's what I meant by 'parking lot'. Traffic easily comes to halt during rush hour...it gets all backed up, sometimes for a mile or two. No way I'm sitting on the bike in that, crawling, stopping every twenty- thirty feet.
"Not just your 'ordinary' Rookie..."

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#10 Unread post by dieziege »

Freeway Parking lot riding is too damned scary if you play by car rules. I did it twice... I won't do it again. That opening beside you is too tempting to cars who want to squeeze into your lane... and nobody respects your rear tire. I see people doing it but I'm too much of a coward. Far safer to ride between the cars....or get off the highway.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.