Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Why are Harleys cool?

#291 Unread post by Wrider »

Jack, I would agree with your premise except for the fact that you can make a liquid cooled motor sound almost precisely the same as an air cooled motor if you work at it.

It's a "heritage" thing. Most of the die hard HD fans refuse to even admit that a V-Rod is a Harley or that the Rotax-powered Buells were Harleys because they're powered by something other than a 45 degree air cooled pushrod twin. Heck you can even make a parallel twin sound like a Harley with the right crank and firing order.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#292 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I tried to read this whole thing, but I got to page nine and skipped to the end.

I think what makes Harley cool is the combination of history, sound, aesthetics, and the carefully curated image. It may be worth mentioning that Harley makes one of the few bikes that I have a visceral reaction to - every time I find myself thinking, "Damn, that is one good looking Harley" it's always a Road King. If they ever produce a tiny version of the Road King, Harley would make my list of bikes to seriously consider. As it is, they're all much larger than I want.

The only beef I have with Harley is that they're painfully loud, more often than not.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

perrypogue
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Harley Dyna super glide

#293 Unread post by perrypogue »

I'm a new rider at 67...I should have bought one as soon as my kids were grown...better late than never. But, when I decided it was time for me to get a bike, there was no other bike considered but Harley's. I've grown up admiring Harleys. Only Harley's sound like Harleys. I wouldn't even consider another mfg...I'm not buying a bike to save money on my commute...I want to cruise on my Harley.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#294 Unread post by sapaul »

perrypogue wrote:I'm a new rider at 67...I should have bought one as soon as my kids were grown...better late than never. But, when I decided it was time for me to get a bike, there was no other bike considered but Harley's. I've grown up admiring Harleys. Only Harley's sound like Harleys. I wouldn't even consider another mfg...I'm not buying a bike to save money on my commute...I want to cruise on my Harley.
So, you not only bought a bike, you bought a lifestyle, nothing wrong with that, it is what Harley sells.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#295 Unread post by BobK »

Harleys are cool because girls like them:

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#296 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

priceless!!!!!
there aint nothin like it

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#297 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Harley's are cool if you think they are.

No, they don't break down like they used too.

Anyway....they sound cool with the right pipes & that's a nice thing to have when your cruisin' not to mention the torque they pump out!

Hey Shane-o ....you are thinking of the majority of (slow) week-end warriors, but I can assure you a Harley can be ridden fast in the right hands.