Helmet and eardrums

bcarlson
Regular
Regular

Helmet and eardrums

#1 Unread post by bcarlson »

Today was a little breezy but a fine day for riding. On the interstate going anything faster than about 60, my eardrums felt like they were being beaten by the Energizer bunny; just a constant pressure in my ears. If you're in the car and you roll a window down just right this happens as well.

Anyway, it was very uncomfortable almost painful. My helmet is new so it's not a loose fit that causes this and I could not feel any air movement from gaps in the visor. I wear an HJC Sy-Max (the one where the entire front opens up); how durable are these and does the seal get sloppy after a while? Any suggestions?

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by dieziege »

That's part of why so many people recommend hearing protection.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

hot_shoe_cv
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by hot_shoe_cv »

Most of the flip up helmets seem to be noisy simply by the virtue of how they are built. Yours is no exception, apparently. As others will suggest, earplugs are a viable solution. Make sure that when you look at ear protection they show the NPR before buying them.A NRR lower than 25 probably be ineffective, whereas A NRR of 25 or better will reduce most any wind blast or high decibal sound to a comfortable and safe level.Be aware that ear damage is a cumulative condition which increases over time.
02 1500 Mean Streak
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/hot_shoe_cv/allaccessories.jpg

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#4 Unread post by VermilionX »

i just wasted $17 on a pack of ear plugs... they don't stay still and it hurts my ear after a while.

i need custom ones.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

hot_shoe_cv
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by hot_shoe_cv »

Another thought...since your profile gives no hint of where you are and hence no way to tell if it is still cold there, did you have the vents open in the helmet? These would help to reduce the air pressure inside.
Of course, you could always get a full face with better sound proofing & keep the flipup for town use.
02 1500 Mean Streak
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/hot_shoe_cv/allaccessories.jpg

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by dieziege »

Verm....you didn't read my post discussing a bunch of diferent plugs, but in summary they are all very different and you just buy the minimum quantity of each style until you find the ones that fit best. Some that I basically can't use other people on this forum really love... different ears.

After trying perhaps 10 styles of plugs I finally went out and bought a box of 200 pairs of the ones that worked best for me.

You don't need custom, you need to shop more intelligently.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#7 Unread post by VermilionX »

dieziege wrote:Verm....you didn't read my post discussing a bunch of diferent plugs, but in summary they are all very different and you just buy the minimum quantity of each style until you find the ones that fit best. Some that I basically can't use other people on this forum really love... different ears.

After trying perhaps 10 styles of plugs I finally went out and bought a box of 200 pairs of the ones that worked best for me.

You don't need custom, you need to shop more intelligently.
oops! :oops:
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

RTR
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Helment and eardrums

#8 Unread post by RTR »

bcarlson wrote:Today was a little breezy but a fine day for riding. On the interstate going anything faster than about 60, my eardrums felt like they were being beaten by the Energizer bunny; just a constant pressure in my ears. If you're in the car and you roll a window down just right this happens as well.

Anyway, it was very uncomfortable almost painful. My helmet is new so it's not a loose fit that causes this and I could not feel any air movement from gaps in the visor. I wear an HJC Sy-Max (the one where the entire front opens up); how durable are these and does the seal get sloppy after a while? Any suggestions?
I had a HJC Sy-Max helmet until I dropped it. Best thing that I ever done. It forced me to buy a better built helmet. As for the Flip Face style helmets. The Sy-Max is the noisest of them all. Ear fatigue is a problem for many riders. Simple solution is investing in some ear plugs. There are many different types out there. Find one that is comfortable for you and buy them.

As for HJC they did improve the Flip Face helmets with the CL-Max. Still noisy though. Just not as bad as the Sy-Max.

Good luck and safe riding!
www.redfridays.ca

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

VermilionX wrote:i need custom ones.
:laughing:

One day I'm going to buy you a beer and hear this through my own ears, not read over the internet
Last edited by storysunfolding on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Verm...Are you sure you installed the ear plugs correctly?