Too Soon To Upgrade?

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Too Soon To Upgrade?

#1 Unread post by cherokeepati »

I bought my Honda 600VLX in April, took the MSF course in May, and started riding to work (1/2 hr each way) soon after. I had NO prior experience outside a cage until I took the MSF course. I didn't try out any motorcycles other than Honda. I just bought one the size I thought I could handle. I live in the foot hills of the Blue Ridge mountains. We have some nice curves up here but most of my commute is on the highway and some in the city. I've gotten quite alot of experience this way jumping in both feet so to speak. I have completed 1600 mi on this motorcycle so far since early June.
The hardest part of my ride is on the highway. With only four gears and with a windshield I get buffetted around quite a bit. I am a tactically aware rider and have no problems moving in and out of traffic. I have been looking at a 2006 Suzuki C50C at a dealer and have not taken it for a test drive. I have sat on it and found it a good fit, altho a little taller in the seat.
My question is : Is it too soon, or, if I'm comfortable at my skill level, should I upgrade while I can find a good deal?
I was originally going to post this in the "New Rider Forums" but wanted to get the opinion from the more seasoned riders. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by Scott58 »

hard to say. 1600 miles isn't alot. How do you do in the rain? How about gravel and sand? Not sure what to tell you about the buffetting. i don't notice any difference betwen my S50 and my Rebel (almost 150lbs in weight difference) as far as the wind goes. I'm not sure what you mean by the only 4 gears part. That really has nothing to do with anything, unless you want a bike with more gears. Have you riden with a passenger? Do you plan to? Not sure the weight difference between the C50 and VLX, but I would imagine 100lbs or so. You'll certainly have a bit more power, but if your comfortable with it and that's what you want to do. Best bet is to see if you can take one for a ride. Do some low speed manuvers that's probably where you'll see the biggest difference other then the getup and go aspect of it.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by cherokeepati »

Thanks for the reply Scott58!
The 1600 miles have been from riding Mon-Fri as I said from work and back. With only four gears when I am traveling 65-75mph on the highway I am almost winding her (the bike) out. At least thats what it sounds like. The VLX was purchased new although it is a 2005. I ride solo and don't plan to carry a passenger. (I don't see any guys riding behind a woman :lol: ) I guess I'll just have to see if the dealer will let me test ride. The weight and seat height appear to be the major factor with me (can't put my foot down flat as with the VLX but am not on my toes either) but I guess I'll have to see Monday if the bike is still there. I've been rained on (toad stranglers) twice and took my MSF in the rain. We had to stop a few times for lightning storms. Before the course I practiced riding in my yard and on the gravel driveway to the barn. I was lucky and never dropped it though. Oh, the weight difference is about 50# or so, I think..I wrote it all down but don't have the stats with me at this time. Lots of gravel and rocks around here but not much sand. The largest obstacles are the deer and wild turkeys and other native wildlife. It's always an interesting ride!! Thanks again!

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by roscowgo »

*reminds self to find woman and ride behind her.

I wouldnt think the 50 series would be that big of an upgrade that you would have to worry about it. If you were wanting to jump to say an 800 cc sportbike after only 1600 miles... that would be different.

Of course i could be sadly sadly mistaken.

:laughing:

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#5 Unread post by flw »

Also depends on if he intends to drive in the same basic area for a while before any side trips on the new bike. Ride what you know first, then later move on.

Later could mean a few days or months if the transition goes slowly.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

1600 miles isn't very much. If it was me, I'd be inclined to get just a bit more experience and then move up.

You can keep building on your skills for the rest of this season and then trade up next season.

Are you in a hurry to move up?
Is the Suzuki you saw on sale for a really, really, really, great price?
Is the bike just going to be parked over winter or are you planning on riding over winter?

Bachstrad37
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by Bachstrad37 »

1600 miles is pretty low.

With that said, I personally don't see any issues with upgrading. The C50 isn't really that much bigger and besides, your highway needs is pretty important as majority of your miles seem to have been accumulated there.

I think the added 5th gear will make cruising a bit more enjoyable as well. If your budget or luck allows you to spot another bike, I'd definitely consider it. With fall coming about, you're going to find the quantity and price of available bikes to work in your favor.
2003 VN1500P Kawasaki Mean Streak
2009 Yamaha Nytro FX

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#8 Unread post by -Holiday »

yea, thats pretty much a lateral move, at least experience wise needed for either bike. If it gets you more comfort, then i say go for it.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by cherokeepati »

Thanks to everybody for the input. You guys and gals are great!
Because the season IS in my favor and I intend to ride all winter and on the highway I'll see what the stealer has to pitch. Keeping my fingers crossed cause YES it's that nice!! (Custom model for 2006 and Great price!) 8)

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#10 Unread post by jmillheiser »

the 50 series boulevards are the entry level into suzukis v-twin cruisers. The C50 itself is a highly recommended cruiser for a beginner.

it should handle the highway much better than your VLX. it has a bit more power (not a huge increase but still has more power) and 5 gears to make highway riding a little easier.