04 FZ6, 92 Honda Nighthawk, 01 Bandit 600, or 02 Honda 919?

jeff_connors
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

04 FZ6, 92 Honda Nighthawk, 01 Bandit 600, or 02 Honda 919?

#1 Unread post by jeff_connors »

My son and I have been riding a little over a year. I'm buying a 92 Honda NH 750 today. He thinks he wants a 919. I say the NH, FZ, or Bandit would be better since he is 19 and insurance should be cheaper on a 600 bike than a 919. I also feel the 919 is overpriced like the 599 is because of the "Honda" name. The cheapest bike is the 92 NH but the Bandit is only $2900 which is a good price for a low mileage 600 inline 4.

but what the hell do I know....???....other more experienced riders out there make a recommendation for 19 year old, one year of riding exp, with a budget of up to $4000? Just about all of these bikes are within the price range, I'm just concerned with an inline 4 of almost 1000cc that it will be too much for him to handle. He is a good rider but I still have my concerns. Thanks!!
Jeff
'04 Black Honda Rebel
'04 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (sold)
'00 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
'95 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
'06 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (light blue)
'05 Yamaha FZ6 (purple)
'02 Honda Nighthawk (red-sold)
'02 Honda Nighthawk (black)

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#2 Unread post by -Holiday »

Not trying to be biased, but the Bandit sounds like the best bet. Sounds like he wants something a little sporty, but not too high cc's. Out of the bikes you mentioned, the Nighthawk is kind of in a different class. Less sporty. Still a good bike though, but i'd be willing to bet a 19 year old kid would be more happy on a bandit then a nighthawk.
Can he sit on any or all of them and see how the ergo's are to help make the dicision?
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

jeff_connors
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by jeff_connors »

Yes, he will sit on the NH today but he has ridden one before. We are looking at the FZ6, 919, and Bandit also. I just want to run it by someone else since I'm bias on what I like and my desire to keep him safe. I personally like the naked look of the 919 but don't like the cost. He could use the fairing of the Bandit also since it will extend his riding time. For me, I can ride the naked style since I have a V-Strom with a fairing for cooler days. Thanks!
Jeff
'04 Black Honda Rebel
'00 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
'95 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
'05 Yamaha FZ6 (purple)

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by paul246 »

I've ridden the 919 and would most certainly recommend it, at least for myself as I can't speak for your son's abilities. The 919 is an outstanding motorcycle and worth every penny IMO. The power is quite manageable as it is set up for more grunt in the low and midrange, there is no sudden power threshold in the upper range that can get crazy on you. Brakes are superb. Handles beautifully. Comfort and ergos are up there, too. This is a great all-rounder that is under appreciated in North America (as usual).
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

jeff_connors
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by jeff_connors »

Thanks for the advice. We rode an FZ6 yesterday. It really screams. It makes me a little leary of the 919 which is even bigger which both are I-4 engines. The FZ has a little forward lean position that he may tire of also. He did not like the SV650S position which is quite a bit more forward. We were going to look at the Bandit today but Ernesto put a stop to that. Thanks again. Will keep you updated on what he decides.
Jeff
'04 Black Honda Rebel
'00 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
'95 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
'05 Yamaha FZ6 (purple)

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#6 Unread post by jmillheiser »

if he didn't like the slight forward lean of the FZ6 he wont like the bandit, its riding position is more agressive than the FZ6s.

I ride a bandit 600 and highly recommend it. If he does any distance he will actually begin to like the slight forward lean of pretty much any modern standard which prevents your lower back from becomming a pressure point.

I have done over 400 miles in a day on my bandit and I would have been hurting more if I were on a bike with a bolt upright riding position or a cruiser. My first bike had a bolt upright riding position and my back would get sore after about 100 miles on it.

Im not suprised he didn't like the SV650S, its a full on sportbike riding position, he might however like the position of the naked SV650 which is more upright.

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

the 919 is similar in power to a modern 600. it is closer to a 600 sport bike than a liter bike. i rode one the other day, it was nice but the tank spread my legs too far apart.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

jeff_connors
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by jeff_connors »

jmillheiser wrote:if he didn't like the slight forward lean of the FZ6 he wont like the bandit, its riding position is more agressive than the FZ6s.

I ride a bandit 600 and highly recommend it. If he does any distance he will actually begin to like the slight forward lean of pretty much any modern standard which prevents your lower back from becomming a pressure point.

I have done over 400 miles in a day on my bandit and I would have been hurting more if I were on a bike with a bolt upright riding position or a cruiser. My first bike had a bolt upright riding position and my back would get sore after about 100 miles on it.

Im not suprised he didn't like the SV650S, its a full on sportbike riding position, he might however like the position of the naked SV650 which is more upright.
Thanks very much. Good words. Just today I read this:

http://www.sargentcycle.com/csroadcom.htm

You are right about the forward lean position. Guess it depends if you are moving against the wind at speed or moving slow around the neighborhood. I guess the theory is that wind pushing you when you are leaning forward will take the weight off your arms for a more comfortable ride vs wind pushing you back in a straight up position and having to strain to keep your position. Thanks...we will keep that in mind today when looking at a few more bikes.
Jeff
'04 Black Honda Rebel
'00 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
'95 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
'05 Yamaha FZ6 (purple)