Kids on bikes

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

i have a buddy whos 9 y/o loves to ride on his bike. she has full protective gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, mc-specific boots) and they do fine together. i dont think you'd want to belt yourself to a child becasue in the even of a wreck you WANT to seperate from each other and the bike. personally, as long as the child is willing and able and is protected and you are not doing wheelies and stuff i see nothing wrong with an occasioanl ride.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

Kim
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by Kim »

My 6 yr. old son has been riding with dad for quite a while now. Hubby has an Ultra Classic so he's pretty snug in there. He can't reach the foot pegs yet so he puts his feet on the saddlebags.
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

XJRJohn
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by XJRJohn »

my grandson has been on my bike(and many others)since he was a toddler.first sat on the tank and only up the garden path,now hes big enough to sit pillion(still only up the path)but untill his feet are firmly on the pegs and he has full gear,thats as far as he goes.he loves m/cs and it wont be long before hes demanding his first helmet.xjrjohn
biking isnt a matter of life or death,its far more important(bill shankley,well almost)

Beach
Veteran
Veteran

#14 Unread post by Beach »

BigChickenStrips wrote:i dont think you'd want to belt yourself to a child becasue in the even of a wreck you WANT to seperate from each other and the bike. personally, as long as the child is willing and able and is protected and you are not doing wheelies and stuff i see nothing wrong with an occasioanl ride.
The belt does not attach you to the child, it simply had handle on it for them to hang onto instead of reaching around your waist.

With just 3 months and 3000mi. under my belt, I started taking our 12 yr. old girl with me. She bugs the crap out of me to take her all the time, but I limit it. She has her own full face, but no other gear. She is about 90 lbs, and I hardly notice that she is there. I keep my speed lower than I would if I was alone, and I am really careful all the time anyway. I will go get her some more gear, you guys make me feel bad. I would feel terrible if something happened to her.

I dont think FL sets an age they can ride at. For some kid 7 might be OK, but they have to be mature enough to not move around back there at the wrong times. I have had to get on to her a few times about fidgeting at low speeds, but she normally stays still and hasnt upset the bike.
86 Honda Nighthawk 450
93 Honda XR 250L