Scraped Pegs...

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

Scraped Pegs...

#1 Unread post by CNF2002 »

I thought I'd share my little accomplishment today. I scraped my pegs for the first time in a sharp turn.

I often try to gauge how well my ability is improving, and although scraping pegs is hardly one of my goals, it did surprise me. What surprised me even more however was that I felt quite confident in the turn. I have found (what I believe to be) the maximum amount of lean I can get out of my Blast, and did so very comfortably.

Now before you go accusing me of printing a certificate for myself and sticking gold stars to my forehead, I do have a point. This message is just to reinforce that if you take your time, practice, and let your skills improve naturally, you can accomplish your goals and improve your riding skills without leaving your comfort or safety zone. To anyone who is trying to maximize speed, drag knee, or whatever their personal skill goal is, everything comes in time if you relax and let it.

I'm hardly a skilled rider, so I thought it would be nice to hear something like this from someone who is still trying to learn to maximize their bike's potential.

PS: I'd also like to point out that instead of trying to maximize my lean, I have simply been trying to take a turn as safely as possible with a reasonable amount of speed, and always monitor the road conditions before entering the turn to adjust my lean for potential hazards, like cracks and gravel, etc.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#2 Unread post by VermilionX »

congrats!

that was cool! :righton:
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Congrats on your first scrape. I made a thread a little bit ago about my first time too: http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopi ... ht=scraped

I have recently installed stiffer front fork springs from Progressive and a set of 2006 VTX1300 shocks onto my 20 year old bike. I thought the added stiffnes would lessen the peg scraping, but a las I just scraped again today. I've only had the rear shocks on since this Saturday :twisted:
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#4 Unread post by Loonette »

Congrats!

Still haven't scraped my pegs. I worry too much that it will throw me off balance and make me spill. I know this can't truly be - I watch ZooTech do it all the time (looks very cool on night rides - sparks flyin' everywhere). I know that it holds me back though. I could take turns much more effectively if I weren't so afraid of scraping my pegs. I still have time though.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

asiantay
Legendary
Legendary

#5 Unread post by asiantay »

Loonette wrote:Congrats!

Still haven't scraped my pegs. I worry too much that it will throw me off balance and make me spill. I know this can't truly be - I watch ZooTech do it all the time (looks very cool on night rides - sparks flyin' everywhere). I know that it holds me back though. I could take turns much more effectively if I weren't so afraid of scraping my pegs. I still have time though.

Cheers,
Loonette
I know how you feel, Loonette. I've scraped my pegs quite often, once I scraped it too much and layed the bike down while practicing. But it is practice, so..
Lenny: Hey George I want a dog.
George: Shut up Lenny, you're too stupid for a dog.
Lenny: At least I'm not an @ssoff.

- Of As and Off

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Awesome!

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Actually I was riding around in the mall parking lot today, waiting for a friend to show up, and I did the exact same thing, you're right, it takes you by surprise, but I was totally in my comfort zone... Congrats, just don't do it too often! lol
Wrider

Beach
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by Beach »

Congrats on scraping one, I guess. Just hope it never digs in and slows the bike too much. I have yet to scrape a peg in 4500 mi. Maybe one day. 8)
86 Honda Nighthawk 450
93 Honda XR 250L

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

peg scraping is good stuff. little spark show for who ever is behind you.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

Big B

#9 Unread post by Big B »

scrapy scrapy scrapy! congrats! soon you'll get to the point where you get disappointed when you go through certain turns and you don't scrape your pegs. trust me, it happens. i also like the look on people's faces when they hear my floorboards scrape, kinda puzzles the average joe. :twisted:
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by jonnythan »

Cool! Congrats.

The same thing happened to me the other day. It was my first ride with a passenger and I was making a left-hand turn at a stoplight off the interstate at about 15 mph. I was perfectly confident in the turn, and when I felt my boot and peg scrape the ground, I was much more concerned about having messed up the sole of my boot. It wasn't til right after the turn that I want "whoa!"

Verm hasn't had this pleasure yet, but I'm sure it's quite a bit more challenging to do on a gixxer 750 with 130 pounds on it than a Yamaha Virago with 290 pounds on it :laughing:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]