Fair Weather Riders

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male

#41 Unread post by Mintbread »

If I had a dollar for every ad I saw of a Harley for sale that stated "Never ridden in the rain" I could afford to own one myself. :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#42 Unread post by Kal »

XJRJohn wrote:I ride in any weather all year round.I cant say i enjoy it,In fact i hate it.I dont possess a car licence and have to travel 15 miles to work.Give me the chance to be a fair weather rider and id jump at it.Im building a bike just to use in winter just to save my other bike from the ravages of uk roads in winter.All weather rider i might be ,but i certainly aint committed.xjrjohn
? From the man that got Keyoke, Dukanmortis and myself to a Bike meet at the start of January this year...
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#43 Unread post by qwerty »

Mintbread wrote:If I had a dollar for every ad I saw of a Harley for sale that stated "Never ridden in the rain" I could afford to own one myself. :wink:
Yup, and you could buy me a SV650 with the left-overs.
XJRJohn wrote:I ride in any weather all year round.I cant say i enjoy it,In fact i hate it.I dont possess a car licence and have to travel 15 miles to work.Give me the chance to be a fair weather rider and id jump at it.Im building a bike just to use in winter just to save my other bike from the ravages of uk roads in winter.All weather rider i might be ,but i certainly aint committed.xjrjohn
That's the situation i was in when I was a kid--couldn't afford a car, so I rode a bike. A bike with a motor was a big step up from a bike with pedals.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

badfish89
Elite
Elite

#44 Unread post by badfish89 »

i dont really enjoy riding in the rain unless i have too. I dont feel as safe with wet roads. Im not saying that i have never ridden in Rain, and i have ridden plenty in cold weather... but i dont like rain as much. note - I dont ride for transportation, more recreation. If it is for transportation i usually go out on a nice day. So does that make me fair weather?? perhaps.
[img]http://r2.fodey.com/178a00a236ae9408ea0fec7711f874423.1.gif[/img]
V-TWIN fo lyfe

Damian
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994/Honda/Magna

#45 Unread post by Damian »

I'm about as new to riding as someone can be, but this thread reminds me of something they spent a lot of time on in the MSF. Being safe is about managing risk. If you're feeling tired, sad, mad, sore leg, whatever, you're dealing with greater risk. Being distracted by frigid temperatures, or dealing with the loss of confidence that comes from wet roads increases the already significant risk that comes from riding a motorcycle in the first place. Some riders recognize when they reach the point where the risk is too great for their skill level and decide to park the bike.

It's safe, it's smart, and doesn't effect the OP or any other rider in any significant manner.

PostHuman
Elite
Elite

#46 Unread post by PostHuman »

For those of us without cars, sometimes riding in bad weather is the only option. In cases like that, you suit up, watch your speed, and feel out your traction at every turn.
Like, fast 'n' stuff.

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#47 Unread post by camthepyro »

I use to have to ride in whatever whether there was, because I didn't have a car. Now I choose not to ride in cold whether, because I don't enjoy it. And I choose not to ride in rain (if I can avoid it) because I don't enjoy it, and because I've had too many close (and by close, I mean I almost died) calls on wet roads, to WANT to do it.
Member of DWPOMD and RATUBBAW

'80 Suzuki GS 450
'00 Kawasaki ZR7 ( Sold 09/08 )
'82 Honda Nighthawk 450 ( Sold 02/07 )

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#48 Unread post by Kal »

Handbags at Dawn ladies???
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#49 Unread post by qwerty »

BWAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Dichotomous
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#50 Unread post by Dichotomous »

well depends on your definition I guess, I am taking the bike out of storage today at lunch, its not much better than 40 degrees outside, and wet, and will be the next couple days, but its not snowing, it will be sunday, so I likely wont ride then, and monday is supposed to see 20-35 or so on the thermomenemer, so I likely wont ride then cause cold + wet = ice = no traction. Vermont IS the land of ice, we dont get snow so much as ice all the time, even the snow compacts into ice. as long as there is no chance of ice, I'll ride, but the chance of ice is WAY too great here in the winter to consider riding much, even on dry days that get up to 40, there is still ice on the roads
[img]http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/19909/bike%20girl%20bannar.JPG[/img]
Theres just something about a blue bike....
Throttle on man, Throttle on....