Fair Weather Riders

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#61 Unread post by High_Side »

Well, it seems all the "tough, year-round riders with attitude" riders come from places that it doesn't snow then......
whooopdee-do :laughing:
Last edited by High_Side on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooBama
Regular
Regular

#62 Unread post by TooBama »

I have a paid for, sweet looking, brand new tires having, make your head turn when it passes cage equipped with XM satellite radio and a kickin' stereo.

Nope, when it's cold or when it's raining, I'll take the cage every time. I'd rather save my bike for those non-raining, non-freezing days when I can really enjoy it without needlessly suffering.

But that's just me....
ROLL TIDE !!

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#63 Unread post by Kal »

To be fair Highside it snows in Aus from time to time - although I'd still happily trade for the UK right now...
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#64 Unread post by shane-o »

Kal wrote:To be fair Highside it snows in Aus from time to time - although I'd still happily trade for the UK right now...

i saw snow once back in 76, dont really remember it though, is it cold and slippery to ride on ;) lol

I rode in a hail storm the other day, that would be like riding on snow? cept maybe snow doesnt feel like your being shot with a BB gun all over your body at once :)
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

CajunBass
Elite
Elite

#65 Unread post by CajunBass »

Well, hail-storms are generally over a lot faster than snow.

At least around here.
[color=red]For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.[/color]
John 3:16 (NKJV)

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#66 Unread post by scan »

High_Side wrote:Well, it seems all the "tough, year-round riders with attitude" riders come from places that it doesn't snow then......
Yeah, I thought this too. In reality I think there are days around where I live, and points north of here, that no one would ride a bike, with very very few exceptions. I know there are a few guy who ride even in snow and ice, but that is less than 1% I'm sure.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#67 Unread post by blues2cruise »

scan wrote:
High_Side wrote:Well, it seems all the "tough, year-round riders with attitude" riders come from places that it doesn't snow then......
Yeah, I thought this too. In reality I think there are days around where I live, and points north of here, that no one would ride a bike, with very very few exceptions. I know there are a few guy who ride even in snow and ice, but that is less than 1% I'm sure.
I wondered where the term one percenter came from. :laughing:

Snow is forecasted here for this weekend. I won't be taking my bike out. I guess that makes me limp wristed also. :lol:

Note.....edit was to remove the signature..... :roll:

And edited again just because.......
Last edited by blues2cruise on Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Digginit
Regular
Regular

#68 Unread post by Digginit »

I am, without a doubt, a fair-weather rider. I enjoy riding when it's nice out. I don't enjoy riding when the weather's cr@p. Would rather take the van in bad weather. Call it self-preservation....or fair-weather riding. That's ME!

Peace~
linz
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re:

#69 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Andrew wrote:Ask me at the end of the winter...

I plan on riding through the winter, and don't consider myself a fair weather rider, but I don't see any problem with those who are. If riding is supposed to be enjoyable, why ride if the weather is keeping you from having fun?

The only thing that will keep me from riding(for now) is heavy rain or ice. Luckily, we don't get much of that here(TX).
Same here in the UK. I'm a fair rider as well... it rains quite a bit in London and even though I have a good motorcycle rain suit and have no issues of riding in the rain I don't have a garage to put the bike in to dry off either so on the rainy days I don't go out.

But I do ride when I can and it's safe here or back home in Calgary. Here is my personal list:

- If it is warmer than -5°C and the roads are dry and free of any black ice or snow.
- If it isn't absolutely dumping down rain or hail

Maybe we should have a list of "Under what consitions do you not ride"?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Fair Weather Riders

#70 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I hate riding in the rain, the worst part is the lack of windshield wipers... lol :D

Mike says I have an unusual talent of never getting caught in the rain, but I do remember a couple of times (well, at least once) when I was caught in total downpour for a 40 min ride. That sucked.

I might be a wimp, but I seriously do not ride in the rain if I can at all help it.

That being said, I will ride up to about -5° as long as it's not icy. :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun: