Fair Weather Riders

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#21 Unread post by JC Viper » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:53 am

I'm only a fair weather rider when my tire tread is pretty near it's limit. Other than that I, along with many scooter and BMW riders, are out when the temps dips below 40 F. Even when it's below freezing I'll still ride (except if melted snow created ice) since my moto gear keeps me much warmer than my designer clothing. The only downside is that some of the road salt discolored parts of my engine casing.

I've noticed that it's those who own custom rides rarely take it out in below 55F weather be it a cruiser or sport.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#22 Unread post by t_bonee » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:32 am

I'll agree with Scan here. I'll ride on the nice days through out the winter. Any other times beyond those nice days is to keep the bike going as opposed to any enjoyment of the ride. Enjoyment secondary in the winter. I'm to lazy to winterize my bike beyond putting some Seafoam in the stabilize the gas and maybe a late season oil change. So by default I have to ride some on days when I normally would be in the house with a warm cup of coffee and a football or basketball game on the TV. If it's about 40F out and not raining I'll go for a spin for a half hour or so to get the bike up to running temps. Then head home. And that would be if the bike hasn't been out for a couple of weeks.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#23 Unread post by scan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:43 am

I must admit, the original post had a touch of machismo and bravado. A tone of "I'm Mr. Motorcycle, and I can't believe anyone would bother riding if they don't ride as much as me". If I had a chance to take a job where I could ride a bike all year round, and didn't live in a region where snow was a regular thing for about 2 or three months out of the year, I'd be on a bike all the time. Now I grant you, anyone can change their life and do what they want to do, but being on a bike can't be my only consideration at this time. So I ride when I can and make excuses to ride as often as possible. I ride when it is cold and nasty so I don't have to store the bike for the Winter.

Life always changes, so who knows, as the year pass I may decide to be somewhere I can ride more, and figure out a job to put me on a bike all the time.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#24 Unread post by qwerty » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:34 am

I've been a licensed motorcycle rider since my 14th birthday, the day before I moved out on my own, and didn't even now how to drive a cage until I was married (my wife taught me). I rode everywhere I needed to go, whenever I needed to go, in whatever weather happened to be occuring at the moment. -17*F (-27*C) to 116*F (47*C), rain, sleet, snow, baseball-size hail that broke my face shield, left bruises through leather, and broke two fingers, as well as destroying the gas tank, fenders, one side cover, seat, headlight, and tail light, blizzards with 60mph straightline winds, ad nauseum. It wasn't fun, it wasn't painless, it wasn't safe, but it was necessary because I couldn't afford a car. I did what I had to do to fulfill my commitments to others. Anyone who would voluntarily ride in such conditions when other options were available, view those choices as a commitment to motorcycling, then criticize others who choose a different level of invovement, is a braggard, a bully, and likely suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder. Have you conisdered having yourself committed?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#25 Unread post by JC Viper » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 pm

qwerty wrote:I've been a licensed motorcycle rider since my 14th birthday, the day before I moved out on my own, and didn't even now how to drive a cage until I was married (my wife taught me). I rode everywhere I needed to go, whenever I needed to go, in whatever weather happened to be occuring at the moment. -17*F (-27*C) to 116*F (47*C), rain, sleet, snow, baseball-size hail that broke my face shield, left bruises through leather, and broke two fingers, as well as destroying the gas tank, fenders, one side cover, seat, headlight, and tail light, blizzards with 60mph straightline winds, ad nauseum. It wasn't fun, it wasn't painless, it wasn't safe, but it was necessary because I couldn't afford a car. I did what I had to do to fulfill my commitments to others. Anyone who would voluntarily ride in such conditions when other options were available, view those choices as a commitment to motorcycling, then criticize others who choose a different level of invovement, is a braggard, a bully, and likely suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder. Have you conisdered having yourself committed?
Wait, you rode in a blizzard? Wow if that's true then I am glad I wasn't the only one. My cruiser couldn't handle the road once the snow accumulated past 1 in. despite the crossed chains. The dirt bike I toyed with in the snow did much better, Urals are the ultimate in all weather riding.

I can't wait for the Piaggio MP3... sorry no link at the moment but it has scooter looks with 2 wheels in front but still leans like a bike.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#26 Unread post by qwerty » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:29 pm

Mintbread wrote:
Wow, you're the man!
Actually, I was a young and dumb kid back then. however, I did the intelligent thing. I learned to check weather forecasts before making promises. That got me out of really bad riding conditions except when I had to go to work. Later I did something even more intelligent, I moved to Florida. :motorcycle:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

PostHuman
Elite
Elite

#27 Unread post by PostHuman » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:33 pm

Mintbread is spot on. I totally agree with his stance and personally believe the people who generally only ride in good weather are statistically more likely to regard a motorcycle as a toy rather than a serious instrument of conveyance.

I must admit though I will avoid riding in krap weather if need be, because my rain gear is not very good.
Like, fast 'n' stuff.

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite

#28 Unread post by cherokeepati » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:46 pm

:waggingfinger: :waggingfinger: :waggingfinger:
I'm riding this winter as much as I can because I want to, not have to. Do I feel superior because I have ridden in the cold, heat,toad stranglers..ect.,etc.? I'm not so ignorant to think I'm the first or last in extreme riding, LOL! Absolutely not! I am proud to know I can do it. I like knowing I can still push my limits and still "git er done" at my age. If anything, I feel sorry for those that miss out on a cold morning ride that turns to a beautilful afternoon ride on the way home. As someone wisely said," We all share the same wind". :wink:
Plus, I just love the funny looks I get when I'm dressed up for the A.M. commute and look like the Pillsbury doughboy!! :laughing: :laughing:
Tactically aware and dangerously underestimated!

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#29 Unread post by DivideOverflow » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:20 am

I don't ride when it rains. I ride when it is cold, but not in the rain.

Here is Florida, there are 2 types of rain: Summer afternoon thunderstorms, and hurricanes.

In summer afternoon thunderstorms, the roads get slippery as hell due to all of the oils in the road (because it only rains 5-45 minutes on average). Also, they are THUNDERSTORMS. I've seen too many riders in the newspaper struck by lightning while riding. The motorcycle doesn't have a metal cage around you to take the lightning hit, and the rubber of your tires won't cut it vs the electric potential of lightning.

.. and hurricanes are self-explanatory. Not a good idea to ride in wind that puts out enough force to pick up your bike and take it along for the ride.

I LOVE the "Florida cold" though. 50-70 F are my favorite temperatures.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#30 Unread post by CNF2002 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:34 am

Everyone is a fair weather rider. Just depends what people think is fair!

I ride all year round. But it only gets down to 40F here in the middle of winter in the morning. I'm cold, but I just bundle up and then I'm fine. Humming christmas tunes while I ride helps.

I would probably not ride in snowy conditions. Well, I probably would at least once just because, but that would likely keep me from doing it twice! Then again, there are riders here who don't ride when it gets to be 110F out. I'm perfectly comfortable in that heat.

I really wish people would ride more in the US, but I don't blame them for not riding when the weather is bad. I don't like riding in the rain myself unless I have to!

Interesting topic. I question why anyone would intentionally make themselves miserable, though. If you are comfortable in all seasons, great! If not, why put yourself through misery? And if you are in an area that doesn't get feet-deep snow blizzards, you really can't judge anyone who does.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#31 Unread post by -Holiday » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:37 am

I'll ride to the point until I feel conditions are so unsafe that chances are good I'm going to get hurt. There is no sense in taking that much of a risk when I have other alternatives, like driving a car.

That said, that point that I decide its unsafe to ride is different for every condition. So i've ridden in rain, light snow, extreme cold etc etc. Its actually kinda fun IMO to see how cold it can be before you cant take riding anymore. With heated gear Im not sure if there is a temp cold enough.

Like querty said though, in some conditions it just becomes assinine to continue riding, so if the fact I wont ride in 16 feet of snow, or across the Berring straight makes me limp wristed or uncommited to my machine, then so be it.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#32 Unread post by roscowgo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:15 am

Fair weather.

Why? Because i choose to be.

Simple.

Falkenheld
Veteran
Veteran

#33 Unread post by Falkenheld » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:04 pm

I see tons of those. Usually people on Harleys who are afraid their chrome gets ruined in the rain or something. :roll: Or realise their relative lack of gear won't protect them in anything but sunny days. Well, a lot of them do ride on colder days, as long as there's no rain or anything. :laughing: It's funny to finally see them all wrapped up.
[b]1980 Honda CB400T[/b]

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#34 Unread post by CNF2002 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:09 pm

Falkenheld wrote:I see tons of those. Usually people on Harleys who are afraid their chrome gets ruined in the rain or something. :roll: Or realise their relative lack of gear won't protect them in anything but sunny days. Well, a lot of them do ride on colder days, as long as there's no rain or anything. :laughing: It's funny to finally see them all wrapped up.
Hmm, I failed to consider the impact of the amazing rays of the sun to protect my body from sliding across pavement. I wasted alot of money on gear, darnit.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary

#35 Unread post by Candy750 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:18 pm

By most standards I am a fair weather rider. I don't like falling rain, and I like the temp to be at least 45 degrees. I have ridden when the roads are still wet, and when there is dense fog. It can never be hot enough for me!

I was consoled Saturday that "our" season is over. :cry: Candy is in the garage with a blankie. I hold out a small hope this Saturday will be 51 - BUT - I need to get my snowmobile out!!

Next season - BIG PLANS!! I am aiming for March 21 - a mere 128 days away. My Christmas list is full of bike stuff :P
Candy 750

XJRJohn
Elite
Elite

#36 Unread post by XJRJohn » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:12 pm

I ride in any weather all year round.I cant say i enjoy it,In fact i hate it.I dont possess a car licence and have to travel 15 miles to work.Give me the chance to be a fair weather rider and id jump at it.Im building a bike just to use in winter just to save my other bike from the ravages of uk roads in winter.All weather rider i might be ,but i certainly aint committed.xjrjohn
biking isnt a matter of life or death,its far more important(bill shankley,well almost)

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#37 Unread post by dr_bar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:24 pm

XJRJohn wrote:I ride in any weather all year round.I cant say i enjoy it,In fact i hate it.I dont possess a car licence and have to travel 15 miles to work.Give me the chance to be a fair weather rider and id jump at it.Im building a bike just to use in winter just to save my other bike from the ravages of uk roads in winter.All weather rider i might be ,but i certainly aint committed.xjrjohn
Just another side to that big coin.

XJR, I would say you are a committed rider even if you don't think so. I'm sure that with a little work, you could find another way to commute, but that bike, or the one you're working on is just too enticing to let sit.

With that said, I switch off vehicles when the weather is too ugly or unsafe to ride. Regretably, the lot at my part time job is all new loose gravel and not compacted yet and as such is a mud hole right now. So, even if I wanted to ride, there's no place to drop the side stand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#38 Unread post by t_bonee » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:29 pm

Falkenheld wrote:I see tons of those. Usually people on Harleys who are afraid their chrome gets ruined in the rain or something. :roll: Or realise their relative lack of gear won't protect them in anything but sunny days. Well, a lot of them do ride on colder days, as long as there's no rain or anything. :laughing: It's funny to finally see them all wrapped up.
Whats a matter with that? I don't have a Harley but I did spend a lot of "procreating" money, by my budget, on a new bike. I want to keep it nice. If that means staying out of the rain cause I don't want my paint or chome fouled up, that is my perogative.

Now when I had my early '80's bike, I didn't care if it got rained on or what not cause it was already rusty and ugly. But my new bike gets better treatment than that.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#39 Unread post by Nalian » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:55 pm

:roll: That's funny, last week my harley was the only one in the parking lot during some of the rainy days. Usually the only other one I see on crappy days is a KLR, but lately there aren't many bikes on the road up here in Boston.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#40 Unread post by Gummiente » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Nalian wrote: :roll: That's funny, last week my harley was the only one in the parking lot during some of the rainy days.
That's okay, he probably can't tell the difference between a Harley and a metric cruiser anyway.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride