Does anyone here ride year round? (northern states)

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Does anyone here ride year round? (northern states)

#1 Unread post by Ian522 »

I sold my old bike a couple months ago, with the intention of buying a different bike in the spring. But im getting impatient as usual. Im thinking of finding a bike on craigslist and riding through the winter. I live in NJ where average winter temps are usually in the 30's, although its been warm the last few weeks.

Ive never ridden in temps below 50 before, so I dont really know what its like riding in the winter. With the proper gear and layers, is it bearable to ride around town in 30-40 degree weather? Will I have trouble even getting a bike with carbs to start in that kinda weather? Is corrosion from salt residue a concern?

Thanks for the advice.

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Re: Does anyone here ride year round? (northern states)

#2 Unread post by qwerty »

Ian522 wrote:With the proper gear and layers, is it bearable to ride around town in 30-40 degree weather?
I often tell people 30-70*F is my favorite temperature range. My basic riding apparel is waterproof workboots, Thinsulate insulated leather gloves sprayed with waterproofing, jeans, and a Bell full face helmet from Walmart. I have a fashion leather jacket from JCPenneys. A t-shirt under the jacket is good from 80*F down to 55*F. Then I add a heavy sweatshirt or turtle neck, and I'm good down to 35*F. Any colder, I add insulated socks, thermal underwear, knit glove liners, and a second sweatshirt or turtleneck. Below 25*F I add a rainsuit to better block the wind. I've ridden down to 17*F and been quite comfortable.
Ian522 wrote:Will I have trouble even getting a bike with carbs to start in that kinda weather?
Make sure your engine oil is appropriate for the ambient temperature. I run 10W30 in the winter and 20W40 in the summer. I've never had trouble starting down to 17*F.
Ian522 wrote:Is corrosion from salt residue a concern?
Yes. Give the bike a thorough rinse with fresh, cold water on a regular basis.
Ian522 wrote:Thanks for the advice.
Y'elcome.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I'm on the westcoast but on the 49th parallel. Some of us ride all year when the roads are safe to do so.

Dress in layers and put some stick on hot pads in your boots to keep your toes warm.

As for the salt, it will be important to wash your bike off after every ride.

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by Scott58 »

I ride year round also. Check out military surplus. They have some pretty good gear. I wear an AF flightsuit most of the time and it's very good. Last year the coldest I rode in was 8 degrees (only about 30 minutes), but it did the job. gloves are the weak link. Fingers were cold but not numb. Think about heated gloves from time to time, but im really not into that kind of stuff.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

logitech104
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by logitech104 »

blues2cruise wrote:As for the salt, it will be important to wash your bike off after every ride.
I don't get it, how come you have to wash your bike off after you ride, is there salt in the air or something? in the humidity??? :confused:
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/logitech104/fairyhugsig.jpg[/img]
[1981 honda cb400t hawk][2004 honda crf150f]

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#6 Unread post by JC Viper »

I'm in NYC and ride all year round if there's no snow or ice on the ground. My bike is a Vulcan 500 and found dirt track tires to suit those occasions when there's a trace of snow on the ground. The carbs on the bike aren't much of a problem in cold weather since most of the time the choke wasn't needed.

Getting periodic maintenance done is key for a reliable bike in the winter. Stuff like lubing the throttle and clutch cables, lubing the chain (my bike), making sure the idle is set properly along with cleaned out carbs and fresh spark plugs.

Salt is the stuff that goes on the ground to melt the snow and ice and can ruin paint jobs or engine casings if not cleaned off. My engine still has white spots and the windshield is not as clear as it use to be. Teaches me to ride behind a salt truck while it's snowing (at least the bike stayed planted). Beware though, salt can also be like gravel esp. if they are big chunks. The small stuff turns to powder.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

logitech104
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by logitech104 »

Ok thanks! I didn't know because our roads don't get salted.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/logitech104/fairyhugsig.jpg[/img]
[1981 honda cb400t hawk][2004 honda crf150f]

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#8 Unread post by t_bonee »

Yep. I'm in southern Ohio. Actually, thanks to global warming, it's been a very pleasant winter to ride in so far. Lots o' warm days. No significant snow fall. I think the coldest temps I've ridden in so far have been about 35F one afternoon. But it was sunny.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#9 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Yup. I ride year round... even down into the 20's and lower. I've got an electric jacket liner and heated handgrips.

Layering is good. Make sure your bottom layer is NOT cotton it gets damp and keeps your skin clammy. Get some polypropylene long underwear - you'll find it in ski shops or the winter sports dept of nearly any sportiing goods store. It must fit snug to keep you warm.

I live outside Baltimore, and we get a snowstorm every month or so, and it never stays on the roads more than a week. What we get a lot of is 'freezing precipitation' and salt is heavily used, so you have to be careful of the 'glazing' effect from the salt.

I do NOT wash my bike after every cold weather ride. The hoses are off the outside taps. But then again, my bike has NO chrome to corrode. I do not ride if the roads are damp in winter. Too much chance of encountering frozen water where it will take me down.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#10 Unread post by jstark47 »

My wife and I don't winterize our bikes. In southern New Jersey there are always days up into the 40's throughout the winter. Gearing up for warmth is no problem. Safety is a bigger deal: I'll ride if the temps are above freezing and there's no snow or ice around. Salt build-up is a little tricky, but no more than sand on the road in summer - lots of south Jersey roads in the pines have sand on them.

I rode the V-strom to work yesterday and Monday; took the Bonneville out back road bombing on Sunday. Mrs. Stark had the Trophy out on Saturday.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S