So I got to test out my safety gear yesterday....

kellanv
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

So I got to test out my safety gear yesterday....

#1 Unread post by kellanv »

So I was riding to work yesterday, first time on the bike in a few days. Got some cool saddle bags and frogg toggs for Christmas so it was good to be back in the saddle. So here I am making a right hand turn in a T intersection with a lot of construction around(been through this intersection a million times) when all of a sudden I sense something is wrong with the way the bike is suddenly handling. As I go through the turn I start to feel the rear tire drift from out behind me wider and wider. Now at this point I'm not sure exactly what happened because everything happened so quickly, but I know at one distinct point I just though "oh f***..." and SLAM I end up highsiding into the ground.

As best I can tell, my rear end drifted around, slipping on some oil/construction mess that I didnt know I really picked up until after I was picking myself up off the ground. As I started to slip I think I tried to correct it, and coupled with some bad throttle control and possibly an overcorrection snapped the rear tire back the other direction.

Once down I remember sliding down the pavement thinking of how quickly it all happened. Once I stopped I pulled my foot from under the bike and picked myself up off the road. I reached down to lift the bike and realized my ankle and shoulder were both within pretty poor shape. The lady that saw this happen shook her head and drove off...nice show of humanity there...

Anyway, a guy later came and helped me pick it up and get it to the side of the road. I eventually took a little inventory of my injuries once the initial shock wore off. My heel was badly bruised(not sure quite how that happened) ankle sore, sore shoulder(which I now know I separated, but its only a type I or maybe II, and should be better with some rest etc.) and a little bit of road rash on my knees etc.

Surprisingly my bike(06 GS500F) made it through the incident rather well. Slightly bent/scratched bar end(now fixed), scratched ignition cover, and scratched exaust, and scratches on the bottom of my turn signal(not even broken). My new saddle bags and the fairings werent even really touched.

My A* mesh jacket held up really well, and definitely kept me from breaking anything when my shoulder was driven into the ground. My helmet did end up hitting the ground, but it was on the edge of the visor(near the hinge) and the actual helmet itself without a scratch. My gloves have some rash on the sides(VERY glad I was wearing these) My jeans were torn through on the knee and I am going to work on getting a good pair of motorcycle boots since my steel toes protected me for the most part, but left my heel with a considerable amount of damage.

All in all I'm ok and just resting as much as possible. The shoulder feels a little better and I have my full range of motion(just really sore in spots) My heel will be ok I'm sure. I'm definitely not scared to get back on once healed. Bike runs fine with no leaks.

Moral of the story? Dont get overconfident and do a better job at keeping the shiny side up!

-Kellan
[color=red]I know I'm a dick...no need to point that out.[/color]
[img]http://www.kellanvincent.com/sig.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Thanks and Gig 'Em[/color]

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

Glad to hear you're through it OK!

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Damn Kellan! I'm glad it wasen't worse, get your rest and see a doctor about those injuries just incase you tore something inside.

I'm sure you'll hear this 100 times, but I'd also get a new helmet.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

+1 on the helmet, gotta say it... Anyway, glad you're ok and that everything turned out alright. Gotta love some cagers, ya know? Hope you get back in the saddle (again) relatively soon!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#5 Unread post by intotherain »

well its good to hear your bikes ok! lol that something my mother would say... whenever i crashed on my new 2000$ mountain bike, the first thing she would say is "is your bike ok?" lol. shes jokin btw.

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#6 Unread post by Social Distortion »

glad to know you are ok amigo,
heal up well and get back on the road soon!
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

zed
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by zed »

Ouch!
Glad to hear you're okay.
I always follow the rules.
The only exception to the rule occurs when I make an exception to the rule not to make an exception to the rule and that only occurs under exceptional circumstances.

2005 Vulcan 500 LTD

CycleNewb
Elite
Elite

Re: So I got to test out my safety gear yesterday....

#8 Unread post by CycleNewb »

kellanv wrote:..... The lady that saw this happen shook her head and drove off...nice show of humanity there...
What a camel toe. I'm glad you and your scoot are OK.

Seetrout
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Seetrout »

Glad you're ok.
Get a new helmet.
Insurance company should replace it for free.
Take them the old helmet with a receipt and they'll cut you a check. (The voice of experience.)
Familiarity breeds contempt.

2004 Honda 599

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#10 Unread post by qwerty »

Thank your guardian angel. Heal well.

If you reported the wreck, and you file a claim, your premiums are likely to increase. If not reported, no premium increase. Something to consider before trying to get a free helmet.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.