ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

Whats up with

#1 Unread post by ofblong »

The weather?????? January and here its normaly below 0 and we are in the 40's so im out riding cause I can and hell im sweating riding with it being 45 out.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Yup, it's suppose to be near the 70s today...
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Shorts »

It's been real warm out here to. As we speak its in the 40s and raining a lot. We should have more snow by now, but we've gotten hardly any accumulation and that's long melted off. Supposedly snow will be here this coming week. We'll see. At this rate, we'll never get to go skiing.

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by qwerty »

Climate is changing at the fastest rate known to ever occur barring a collision of an extraterrestrial object or a major volcanic eruption (like the explosion of the island of Thera about 1550BC, when 60 cubic kilometers of rhyodacite lava erupted, creating an intial plinian column about 32km high). The rate of change seems to be increasing at an exponential rate.

Enjoy the warm weather while you can, because it's simply a matter of time until significant social disruption occurs world-wide because of refugees from rising sea levels and disruptions in the current food production, processing, and distribution process.

Sea levels have already risen about 15cm due to thermal expansion of warming waters. The the runoff from the thawing of terrestrial ice masses is already beginning to have an effect as well. There is enough ice on Greenland alone to raise the sea level 7m, which would flood all of Florida as far north as Orlando, as well as the heavily populated coastlines. Coastal cities such as New Orleans, Galveston, and Charleston will no longer exist. Entire nations and regions, such as the Maldives, Bangladesh, and the Nile Delta, will be submerged. Refugees will count into the many hundreds of millions, if not billions.

Problems with food production will also develop. Changing climate patterns will shift regions of favorable temperature and rainfall to areas with unfavorable soils. Areas with favorable soils may no longer enjoy favorable temperatures and rainfall. Soil types are dependent on the vegetation growing from them, and the vegetation is dependent on the climate. Soils can take 10,000 years or more to develop naturally. We can hurry the oricess along a bit, but at what investment of resources has not been determined.

Even us older riders will likely live to see the beginnings of the end of the current world order due to global warming. You younger riders will see the middle of it, and your children will suffer the consequences. The only question is, what are you going to do about it?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#5 Unread post by ofblong »

qwerty wrote: The only question is, what are you going to do about it?
Keep riding my cycle :D. Actually it started snowing today and its supposed to snow for 3 days so no bike riding for a few days =[.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

William
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: Newest: '15 ZX-14R Ninja, plus 2 others.

#6 Unread post by William »

qwerty wrote:Climate is changing at the fastest rate known to ever occur barring a collision of an extraterrestrial object or a major volcanic eruption (like the explosion of the island of Thera about 1550BC, when 60 cubic kilometers of rhyodacite lava erupted, creating an intial plinian column about 32km high). The rate of change seems to be increasing at an exponential rate.

Enjoy the warm weather while you can, because it's simply a matter of time until significant social disruption occurs world-wide because of refugees from rising sea levels and disruptions in the current food production, processing, and distribution process.

Sea levels have already risen about 15cm due to thermal expansion of warming waters. The the runoff from the thawing of terrestrial ice masses is already beginning to have an effect as well. There is enough ice on Greenland alone to raise the sea level 7m, which would flood all of Florida as far north as Orlando, as well as the heavily populated coastlines. Coastal cities such as New Orleans, Galveston, and Charleston will no longer exist. Entire nations and regions, such as the Maldives, Bangladesh, and the Nile Delta, will be submerged. Refugees will count into the many hundreds of millions, if not billions.

Problems with food production will also develop. Changing climate patterns will shift regions of favorable temperature and rainfall to areas with unfavorable soils. Areas with favorable soils may no longer enjoy favorable temperatures and rainfall. Soil types are dependent on the vegetation growing from them, and the vegetation is dependent on the climate. Soils can take 10,000 years or more to develop naturally. We can hurry the oricess along a bit, but at what investment of resources has not been determined.

Even us older riders will likely live to see the beginnings of the end of the current world order due to global warming. You younger riders will see the middle of it, and your children will suffer the consequences. The only question is, what are you going to do about it?
First off, the average global temperature has only risen about 9/10 degree Farenheight in the last 100 years or so. It has risen more than that in the Arctic, simply because ice has melted and the darker water underneath absorbs heat from the sun instead of reflecting it like ice and snow does.

9/10 degree isn't very much, is it? And the warm weather we are seeing in much of the country isn't global warming, but changing weather patterns. It amazes me that people talk about where the weather is warmer than normal, but they ignore the places in the west/midwest where there have been major snowstorms and colder than normal temperatures.

Second, scientists truly do not know exactly what the causes of this warming is. Some say that at least part may be normal weather pattern changes. Some say that direct warming (caused by more vehicles, bodies, etc. that are above the Earth's average temperature of about 57 degrees) may be as much to blame as the so called greenhouse gases.

The problem is that anything having to do with eliminating pollution (or what is percieved as pollution due to media hype) is a politically correct subject. So as a result, greenhouse gases get all of the blame.
The only question is, what are you going to do about it?
The question is, how much can we do about it, if anything? Scientists really don't know. If part or all of the warming is going to occur regardless, then tell me, what can we do?
"Sea levels have already risen about 15cm due to thermal expansion of warming waters"
If that's true, then how come the beaches here in Florida are in the same place they always have been? And warmer water evaporates faster, so just because ice melts, that doesn't mean that sea levels are going to rise drastically.

And another thing: The last time the Earth warmed significantly, an ice age ended, and life on Earth flourished.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving the enviroment. But I'm also for making sure we are doing the right thing, instead of wasting a bunch of money on so called "fixes" that may not work.
Last edited by William on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1982 Suzuki GS1100GL, 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2015 Kawasaki ZX-14R Ninja.

2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 sport/4wd ATV, 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550 EPS SE utility ATV

2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd 4 door, 2008 Toyota Highlander AWD

Born, raised, and spent most of my life in Florida until I moved to Farmington, New Mexico April 2011. Yes, I'm in the wonderful Four Corners area.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#7 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Don't worry, if global warming is responsible for a 40F temp change in 1 year, then next year the deserts will increase in size, the world gets more reflective on average, and we plunge into another ice age
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

logitech104
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by logitech104 »

Nibblet99 wrote:Don't worry, if global warming is responsible for a 40F temp change in 1 year, then next year the deserts will increase in size, the world gets more reflective on average, and we plunge into another ice age
I'm ready. :cold:
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/logitech104/fairyhugsig.jpg[/img]
[1981 honda cb400t hawk][2004 honda crf150f]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Sev »

logitech104 wrote:
Nibblet99 wrote:Don't worry, if global warming is responsible for a 40F temp change in 1 year, then next year the deserts will increase in size, the world gets more reflective on average, and we plunge into another ice age
I'm ready. :cold:
I'm not, though it would explain the weather up here in Fairview, lol.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#10 Unread post by DustyJacket »

qwerty wrote:...... The only question is, what are you going to do about it?
Stop riding your motorcycle.

It pollutes more per passenger than a car. (I think passenger was the measurement. It may have been something else like weight or gallon of gasoline or something.)
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html