High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Would you still ride?

#1 Unread post by High_Side »

Would you still ride if you had to sell that big cruiser / sportbike /adventure bike that you finally put in to the garage and were forced to ride a $800 commuter bike? Could your ego 8) take the humility of rolling up to ride with friends on an old junker or would you rather take up a new hobby until you could get back that bike that defines you?
Discuss.
Last edited by High_Side on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

If it was comfortable and wasn't going to break down on me, I'd ride it.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

I don't know that I'd take an old clunker out on any lengthy ride, but you do what you have to do in order to enjoy yourself.

Calling riding a hobby is a bit wrong as well, at least for some people. It's more a life style that non-riders just don't understand and probably will never understand if they don't take the plunge themselves.

Here on the coast we can ride almost year round, (this year has definitely put a crimp in that though,) and for those of us that don't see it as a hobby, we ride all the time.
On the morning of our last big snow fall, I was returning to the downtown core at the end of my shift. I fought traffic for about three hours with everyone slipping on the rapidly freezing roads. Coming the opposite direction down the street was a guy on his roadstar, bundled against the cold, but still riding...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by sharpmagna »

I don't ride because I want to impress my friends with my "fancy" bike. I ride because I enjoy it, it's fun and it gives me a sense of freedom. If what my friends thought was the driving force for riding, I should really re-think my hobbies...

I wouldn't call my current bike a "clunker" as it runs smoothly, but it isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore. I paid $1800 for it and if I had to go to a smaller displacement bike to ride, I would.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

Interesting question. Sure, I'd ride the old clunker if that's what I could afford. Wife of one of our local RAT pack members brings an early 80's Suzuki (GS 850?) on our pack rides that he picked up cheap and got running for her. As long as she's riding with us, she's one of the gang.

Sometimes when my job is stressing me (like now...) I think about a lifestyle change. That means a much smaller house and old car, and $1000-very used motorcycles for me and Mrs. I think (I hope anyway) I'm more defined by riding itself than by the make/model I ride.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

It wouldn't bother me in the least. I currently ride a '87 Concours that I bought last spring, and yea I had to work on it before I could ride it. I would be too worried about scratching a new bike to ride it much.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

DustyJacket

#7 Unread post by DustyJacket »

A bike doesn't define me. It is what I ride.

I started on a Buell Blast (purple w/pink writing no less) and we still have it. If that was all I had, I'd ride it. (After fighting my wife for it.)
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

Locopez
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 09 HD Electra Glide Classic

#8 Unread post by Locopez »

I think that riding is riding!! As long as it makes you happy...then who cares what you ride now...vs what you used to ride....who cares what others think!!!! Riding for me is like my "zen" time....weather I am on my HD...or my little 250cc scooter....I love it all!!!!!
07 Suzuki DR650SE & 03 HD FLHT Elctra Glide

Rubber side down....shinny side up!

norcal
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by norcal »

If I am riding it it will be in good working order so to be safe. Once that is done..any day riding is better than any day in a cage...so bring on the junk with two wheels man.

norcal
Lets get out and ride.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Sev »

I wouldn't, it's all about appearances to me.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]