Is Global Warming letting you get in more ride time?

rt1maillady
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Is Global Warming letting you get in more ride time?

#1 Unread post by rt1maillady »

Has the unusual weather given you more opportunity to ride or are you in an area that has had the opposite effect. I have been spoiled recently with inseasonably warm weather. But not riding today - 24degrees and with windchill =down to 15. I am wimping out. By the time the bike is warmed up, I am a popsicle.
OK- ALL TOGETHER NOW!!!
THINK SPRING!!!!
rt1maillady

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

HECK NO!!!! This is honestly the most snow anyone can remember around here, and it's been an average of about 10-20 degrees colder for the last month or two than the last 6 or 7 winters. It's a good thing because of the drought, but we've had enough snow to fill our reservoirs to 100% capacity, which is saying something, because last summer they started out at about 35-40%. So, while it's a good thing, I can't go riding! Ah well, ya win some ya lose some...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#3 Unread post by Koss »

I really don't like the term global warming, because sure the main thing behind it is the rise of overall temperatures on average for a whole year to year basis. But the term is easily mistaken. My understanding of it is that we will have more extreme weather, more often.

If my interpertation is correct, then for sure it has affected my area. Except for this week, where we've been getting the same winter storms thats been effecting the rest of texas and the south, we've been experiencing the exact opposite of the rest of the country. When there were unusually warm temperatures all the times throughout this year in the north and eastern coast, we've had unusually cold weather here. We've had about 6 times the amount of rain we usually get for a whole year, during just a 6 week period. The rest of texas was in a long dry spell. The rest of the country was in a extreamly warm weather period. We've gotten more snow and ice more frequently than I can ever remember living in this desert.

And then, whats up with all that wind affecting our european friends?
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Sev »

-40 is a snow day around here... no school. When I was in jr high we used to get them constantly. I haven't seen one of those in almost 7 years now. Avg temps seem to be increasing....
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

Just this moment (3:30 pm EST) came in from a quick 29 mile run with Mrs. on the V-strom and Trophy. 27F out and threatening snow. This is about as cold as I can tolerate with my gear, although Herself says she "could have ridden forever." A bit of hyperbole, this the woman that sleeps under about 10 blankets..... :roll: Time for a cup of hot tea.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#6 Unread post by dr_bar »

Not around BC... One of the worst fall/winters in a long, long time...

Last few years, I had the bike out on a regular basis, this year I think I've been out maybe 10 times since mid November. :shock:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#7 Unread post by intotherain »

its actually been pretty normal wisconsin weather for the past month.. Its been I think less than 10 degrees F for almost everyday..

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#8 Unread post by Mintbread »

I think it is more an evening-out of temperatures. The winters aren't as cold as they used to be and the summers are nowhere near as hot.

Eventually we will end up with perfect riding weather of about 25c all year round.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

rt1maillady
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by rt1maillady »

Perfect riding weather all year round? Hmmmm! Don't you have areas where mail is delivered on bikes? 8) Maybe I should think about moving.
Well, maybe after I retire would be better. Though I bet that job has some unusal stories to go with it!
rt1maillady

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by Mintbread »

Haha, that is what I do for a living.
Discount the (to name a few) moron drivers, dangerous dogs and swarms of bees trying their best to kill you, it is a real blast. :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]