When was the last time...

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

When was the last time...

#1 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Some people in this forum may relate to this...

When was the last time you rode a 70's era street bike? ya know the stiff clutch pull, squishy brakes that take a handful to clamp down and then everything squeals, and it slows you down as if you were a 4000lb freight train... the fork seals leak after about oh a year of riding.. the engine's loud and cranky at the same rpm where current motors just start to get into the sweet part of the power... the steering is cumbersome, the chassis wallows, bounces, weaves... and there's a ton of drivetrain lash, a clunky transmission, and yet YOU STILL HAVE FUN! :biker:

i seem to be able to enjoy almost any kind of bike, sometimes riding them the way they were intended, and sometimes not. They still have motors that make fun noises, and zoom away from lights, they still steer the same (a relative term:wink:) and you still have your head out there in the open air.

The best stuff is still there... easy to navigate traffic, take short-cuts and drive on the shoulder to get out of gridlock. ya get decent gas mileage, and can park almost anywhere! Ya still get to smile and give a wave or thumbs-up when kids stare and point from the sidewalk or the back of mom's minivan. I even noticed the other day while i stopped at a traffic light that a kids dad still says, "yeah there's a motorbike, vroom vroom!"... :mrgreen: you still get a good smile out of the ride and it's a reasonably practical and enjoyable commute, much more fun than by car.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by qwerty »

This afternoon. I was heading to the grocery for some Ritz to go with lunch. I saw her chained to a mailbox post. There seemed to still be a bit of sparkle in her silver paint, but I really couldn't tell under the layers of barn dust and chicken dander the quick wash had not completely removed. I turned around and went back to have a look. Sure enough, a very early XL350 with dry-rotted knobbies and the lights removed. The oil was clean, chain adjusted and lubed, tires had air, controls felt right.

An older lady bundled against the cold came out of the old ranch house, said hello, handed me the keys. I freed the bike from the post, pulled the choke, turned on the ignition, and gave her a good kick. She fired right up. I held fast idle a few minutes, then shut the choke off completely. She settled into the characteristic thump-thump-thump. The lady told me I could ride it in the field behind the house, so I made a cautious lap around the tractor lane. I pulled up to the front door of the house and the lady came out. She asked $500, and I didn't feel that was a bad price, even without a title. I left her with $170, all I had on me, and headed for the bank.

I dropped the TW off at home and found a neighbor to give me a ride to pick up the bike. I gave the lady her money, and she said there was a box of parts next to the shed door if I wanted them. As I tossed the box in the back of my neighbors truck, the flaps flipped open in the breeze. All the original paperwork in a big Zip-loc bag, with the factory lights, some chains and sprockets, speedo, tach, and mirrors underneath. Oh, there were some tires, too. Dry rotted trials-treads, but I thanked her profusely and threw them in the truck.

Nobody runs cattle around here anymore, at least since the gas wells went in. I cut through the lady's pasture, found a place where the fence had been cut, crossed over into the next pasture where I have permission to ride, and made my way cross-country almost all the way home. I arrived just as my neighbor was setting the box by the door, flipped him a 20 for his time and gas. It didn't take long to figure out which bolts went where, but the lights, horn, mirrors, and gauges are all mounted and working. I gave the bike a wash, enduring the mid-20*F temps as long as possible. Now I just need tires and tubes to pass inspection.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

That's an amazing find
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by mgdavis »

November 3rd. That's the last time I was on my bike. It makes me grin when it runs.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by qwerty »

storysunfolding wrote:That's an amazing find
Sometimes luck smiles. I think nobody wanted it because it looked like a piece of $#!+. These days it's all about style for most people. They will spend a fortune for style, but not lift a finger to create it. The bike didn't look very amazing when I first looked at it. All I really wanted was the engine, and it did run. (I have a Redline flattrack frame that used to have a XL350 in it.) The box of parts was an unexpected bonus. Side covers and gauges survived because they were in the box with the lights and mirrors.

The seat foam is mouse-chewed. The rear fender is cracked. The front fender is broken off just at the front of the triple tree. There were some small dents on the tank, but a 1-inch combination wrench through the gas fill hole popped them out 95%. Now that it is all cleaned and reassembled, it looks pretty decent, at least salvagable, and I don't think I can cut it up.

The forks were bent a little, so I pulled the tubes and straightened them with a hydraulic press. A good spray with Seafoam cleaned the switches enough to get them working--they were so full of mud the knobs wouldn't move. A careful carb rebuild and a couple cans of carb cleaner helped the low-speed considerably. Hanging the cables and washing them out with Seafoam liquid, then dripping 30W through them brought them back to proper functionality. The chain was soaked in Seafoam, hung to dry, soaked in warm 30W, hung to drip, then reinstalled and sprayed with Champion Motorcycle Chain Lubricant. The chain and sprockets are usable, but maybe a little taller gear would suit my purposes.

There is still a lot of work to do.

A new battery will be necessary to pass inspection.

The handlebars are bent and will have to be replaced.

The muffler has some rust holes, so it will have to be welded or replaced. I sure would like to find one of the old Bassani downpipes with the reverse cone megaphone muffler with the steel core. Those things made good power on a mildly modified engine, and became torque monsters on big-bores with ported heads. Lightened the bike about 15 pounds, too.

The rear shocks are leaking, but I have a pair of Curnetts set up for a desert-racing XL250. Those should work for a motarded XL350 on the street. I have a couple sets of springs to adjust the rate.

The front rim is bent and needs to be replaced. The tires are dry rotted. I think I'll find 3.5x16 rear and 2.5x18 front rims and spokes so 150/80-16 and 110/80-18 street tires can be mounted.

I need to find a steel fender to mount to a fork brace. I prefer a low fender on a street bike. Then I can mount a matching fender in the rear. I need to look into upgrading the lighting coil because the stock headlight is very weak. The seat needs to be replaced. Come to think of it. I probably paid too much. :laughing:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

JJ
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by JJ »

Rode a 70's era Suzuki Water Buffalo (750 2 stroke water cooled beast) this summer. A mechanic friend of mine let me ride it. He took it on trade. What an awesome bike!
Look for me at the next bike rally
middle aged, fat, black T-shirt & jeans
Easy to spot eh?

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

My brother now has my 1979 KZ650. I think it is a remarkable bike for its age.

It is clunky, and slow by today's standards, but it is still quite fun. It does sound very, very nice, too. Maybe it is the exhaust leak?
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

revcbl
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by revcbl »

Sunday.
1976 Honda CB750
...and some others.

Flak Monkey
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by Flak Monkey »

It's been almost a week! Too long.
Last edited by Flak Monkey on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

JJ wrote:Rode a 70's era Suzuki Water Buffalo (750 2 stroke water cooled beast) this summer. A mechanic friend of mine let me ride it. He took it on trade. What an awesome bike!
It's amazing how many Water Buffalo's there are still out there. I always see 'em at bike meets and such. I'm sure I have a couple in my photo collection. I grew up on 2-strokes (RZ350s, DT200, IT200, YZ125 and 250, etc.)... i've ridden most of the later model (1980s+) street 2-strokes and have had friends with most of the others, but not many of the earlier two-strokes. I had a buddy who was basically given a '77 or '78 RD400 and I took a spin on that puppy. Pretty neat compared to my RZs.

My current ride is the oldest and heaviest beast i've ever owned, a '77 Yamaha XS750 -- a sign that I've taken several risks with things (like um money) for the past several years while tackling other goals in life... As for the XS, well, adversity breeds character, but I usually answer "i have enough character all ready!" --i actually didn't have a bike for about 18-months (a huge record for me, consider 18 or 19 years of riding history) so the possibility of getting this XS750 on the road got me motivated. It's an interesting bike for me since it's my first shaft-drive, first 70s bike, first triple, and first PIG! (i usually like very light bikes, dont even care for 750 or 1000cc bikes most of the time, except an air-cooled twin 1000cc would be interesting). It's also my first first touring-ish thing. i remember comparing a brothers-friends '82 CB750F to one of my '83 RZ350s ages ago, and no longer wondered why RZs were dusting the old CBs and such in Superbike races in the 80s: light, decent chassis, brakes, revs, etc. but the torque of the CB was interesting for riding two-up, or touring i guess, and this XS750 also has a torquey engine... interesting anyway.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)