Power cruiser or sportbike ?

gta396
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Power cruiser or sportbike ?

#1 Unread post by gta396 »

I'm looking at getting a new bike,and not sure what style I should look into. I had owned 2 Harleys before, a 2004 883 Custom Sportster and a 2005 Dyna Super Glide.The only other bike I had ridden was a 2004 Honda CBR600F4i. Both Harleys were pretty good bikes,loved the sound and feel of the V twin engine,the added weight was pretty good as far as giving a smooth ride. I rode my cousin's CBR and got hooked on the added performance and handling,not to mention the outstanding brakes and lightweight compared to the Harley.Although the harley wasn't exactly 100% comfortable being 38 yrs old I can not ride the CBR longer then 20 minutes before I have to get off and stretch. I've been to a few bike shops and sat on quite a few different bikes,the only 2 that feel ok are the 750 Katana,and a Kawasaki Z750s.I can get the CBR at a really good price,I'm just wondering if my body will get used to the bike over time,or should I look for a less aggressive riding position or look into a power cruiser?

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

Your body will adjust as you build up leg/lower back and stomach muscles. But do you really want to ride like that? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

It sounds like you want something sportier, and there are quite a few fast bikes out there with a more standard seating position. Were I in your boat, that's likely what I would do. Bikes like the SV650 and Ninja 650R are both twins that provide plenty of low-end torque, but also go very quick, and are fairly comfortable seating positions.

Go sit on everything you're interested in and see if you can't convince the dealers to let you go for a test ride. :)

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by roscowgo »

Being a kat owner i'd say they are a decent choice. While not doing any one thing really well, they do pretty much everything decently. They arent as sporty as the CBR you rode.....heavier, but comfier.

The 750 even has risers instead of clip ons :D You might want to look at the fz6 or fz1 too. maybe a bandit. or if you can hunt one down a 750 nighthawk. :D good luck.

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#4 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

you don't say where you are living, and if it's the US then my suggestions probably won't be a help, but here I go:

Yamaha MT-01...Cruiser engine in a sportbike body, except no fairing. You sit up like a standard, and weighs 240kg if that's what you like.

Yamaha XJR1300: Muscle bike. Add a flyscreen and some soft luggage and you have something like a cruiser, except it's an inline 4. I've heard one of these with a race pipe on it. YOW!

2007 Triumph Tiger: all arounder, with a 1050 inline triple. Good trade off between tourque and power. Has a fairing and lets you sit up more.

Ducati Multistrada: most people aren't near a Ducati dealer, so this is a longshot, but they've reduced the cost of service intervals so maybe it's a go? I mention this bike only because I want to remind you all I just rode one a few weeks ago. Grin is still firmly planted on face. Less sporty but still good are Suzuki's V-strom 1000 (with the touted TL1000 v-twin...) and the slightly ugly Honda Varadaro.

I've forgotten the Yamaha V-Max (fast and upright), Honda CBF1000 (boring, upright, and good), and the .....nope that's it.

Good luck.
02 Fazer 600

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

If you like the feeling of a twin, but want more performance, try an SV650 (also look at the V-Stroms), Ducati Monster, Multistrada, or ST3... or perhaps the Triumph Tiger triple like Fast Eddy mentioned.

I'm biased, but I think if there is a ducati dealer around you should go take a look. They aren't nearly as expensive as people think they are, and I absolutely love my bike. It would be a bit too extreme for you (most likely), but a Multistrada with the 1000DS or the new 1100, would be great fun, with comfy ergonomics too!

If you like old-school looks, but still want decent performance, you could also look at the Ducati GT1000 or the Triumph Thruxton. They look like 70's racer bikes, but have more modern technology (the duke is better :-P, but I still like the thruxton too).

As far as getting used to harsh ergonomics, you probably won't get used to it unless you work out with those particular muscle groups in mind. Standards are probably a better bet.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

Have a look at the Warrior, Mean Streak, M109R, and S83. They all have cruiser ergos but with enough spunk and handling creds to keep you entertained.

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#7 Unread post by shane-o »

i guess it depends

if your old and crusty, and dont mind watching the world pass you by then the cruiser would be a good option

however

If your young at heart, virile, with a sense of adventure and the will to be hailed a road god, then the sporty option is the go!!!

when im old and cant fold myself up on a sports then id think cruiser, also at the moment im just not fat or ugly enough to go with it yet either ;)

recap

cruiser = old, crusty, fat and ugly
sporty = young, virile, sexzy, godlike
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Fathertork
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Fathertork »

Hey Shane-o
Have we meet...You have my description.

Gotta get a sports bike....damm Harley
06 FLHTCI Classic

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Sev »

shane-o wrote:i guess it depends

if your old and crusty, and dont mind watching the world pass you by then the cruiser would be a good option

however

If your young at heart, virile, with a sense of adventure and the will to be hailed a road god, then the sporty option is the go!!!

when im old and cant fold myself up on a sports then id think cruiser, also at the moment im just not fat or ugly enough to go with it yet either ;)

recap

cruiser = old, crusty, fat and ugly
sporty = young, virile, sexzy, godlike
I hadn't realized that riding was about image rather then enjoyment.

Cruiser or sportbike comes down to comfort in my opinion. If it feels good to sit on, you'll have more fun riding, so get what you're comfortable on.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Shorts »

gta, the folks have given you a pretty good list if bikes to check out. I too was going to suggest a sporty standard. For grins and giggles, check out the Honda 599 or 919. Not Vtwins but do a nice job.