Survey: What brand of oil filter do you use most?

What brand of oil filter do you use most?

AmsOil
3%
Champion
No votes
EMGO
3%
FRAM
20%
K&N
20%
Napa
3%
OEM
27%
Perf-form
No votes
Purolator
3%
STP
No votes
Tokyo Roki
No votes
WIX
13%
SuperTech
No votes
Other (list brand)
7%

Total votes: 30

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I thought this would be an interesting poll and we all change oil in our bikes and use different brand oil filters.

So, what brand of oil filter to you prefer to use most in your bike?

Please do discuss the Pros/cons of what you have used.

Mike

NOTE: If you filter brand isn't listed in the poll, just include it in your message and I'll add it in later. :D
Last edited by totalmotorcycle on Mon May 21, 2007 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

For me, it's Wix filters. I really like their high construction quality and price isn't bad either. There are quite a bit of great reviews on them and I highly recommend them. I've used them in all my bikes in the past several years without fail.

http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/index.html

Other filters used: FRAM, OEM

Mike
Last edited by totalmotorcycle on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

logitech104
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by logitech104 »

I use a cartridge filter, not the screw-on type. FRAM # CH6008
This is the only filter that will fit my bike that is still being made.
Seems to stop debris very well, and the quality is excellent. :)
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/logitech104/fairyhugsig.jpg[/img]
[1981 honda cb400t hawk][2004 honda crf150f]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

logitech104 wrote:I use a cartridge filter, not the screw-on type. FRAM # CH6008
This is the only filter that will fit my bike that is still being made.
Seems to stop debris very well, and the quality is excellent. :)
I remember you have the CB400T, they still have a great one available for your bike for the same price than the FRAM. It's what I used and what my wife uses in the same bike (same year too). It's the WIX (from UAP/NAPA) and the number is: #24939 (see: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/ ... Part=24939)

For those who have other bikes, here is their application chart:
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/motorcycle.asp

Mike

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#5 Unread post by ZooTech »

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#6 Unread post by Skier »

I use either Wix/NAPA Gold filters or SuperTechs. I replace my filters every 2,500 miles along with my oil, so they don't stay too long on there. I also use the car equivalent oil filter. It's the same one for pretty much every Miata engine and most RX-7s (FBs and FCs).
If your engine explodes that many oil filters, perhaps you should get a mechanic to look at it...
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

dablade
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2004 GL1800 ABS

#7 Unread post by dablade »

Thanks for posting the great link, Zootech.
I used amsoil filters until seeing the link Zootech posted.
After seeing how comparatively little filter media is in there, I went back to using OE honda filters and OE Yamaha filters. But I still like the oil.
My question was, could the media be that much better, to be able to use so much less of it? And even if it was, would you really want to use less filter media?

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#8 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I use the emgo b/c that's the best one for my bike according to my dealer. I like to follow their recommendations and keep all receipts when it's under warranty to prevent my maintenance from ever being a question
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#9 Unread post by ZooTech »

dablade wrote:My question was, could the media be that much better, to be able to use so much less of it? And even if it was, would you really want to use less filter media?
My thoughts on it are, if the media is so advanced that it's able to trap particles a magnitude smaller than most filters, wouldn't it therefore be more restrictive? If so, I would think more surface area (i.e. more filter media) would be in order to compensate for the resistance to oil flow, otherwise the bypass valve will be open all the time and render the filter useless. I'm sure there are extremes either way, but I'd like to see more filter media, regardless of its quality.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#10 Unread post by flynrider »

I used to use Honda OEMs because a dealer gave me a smokin' deal on a case of them (about $5 each). After they ran out, I stopped by a dealer to pick one up and they wanted $13-$14 for a single filter. Crazy! Especially since the spin on filter used on my Nighthawk is also the same filter that's used on some of Honda, Kaw and Yam's most popular models. I ended up going down to Wal-Mart and picking up half a dozen Fram filters for (you guessed it!) $5 each.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk