25%

Total votes: 4

isnowbrd
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

Time to replace my original tires, Need some help

#1 Unread post by isnowbrd »

Well, my odometer says I put over 12,000 miles on the Bridgestone Battlax BT-50R that my bike came with. And according to the wear indicators on the tires, it's time to replace them. I just got a catelog in the mail today from Motosport.com. Does anyone have any experience buying from them? Their prices for tires seem to be good, and they will ship them for free.

So, I need some help deciding which sport touring tire to get. I think my first choice would be the Bridgestone Battlax BT-021 for a total of $215.00 for both front and rear. http://www.motosport.com/street/product ... ZR600;2004
The fact that it is a dual compound tire and that it was just released this year makes me lean more towards this tire.

My second choice would be Pirelli Diablo Strada - Extended Mileage Sport for a total of $230.00 front and rear.
http://www.motosport.com/street/product ... ZR600;2004
I don't think I'm interested in the Dunlops or Michelin, and the Metzelers are too expensive. Does anyone have some experience with any of these tires and some advice for me? Do these prices sound like a good deal?

I should add that I am more touring orientated with occasional sporty escapades. So I would like to get some nice mileage out of my next set of tires. And I won't be doing any track days with this bike.
ZZR600
VTR250 - Nothing quite like your first love

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#2 Unread post by -Holiday »

"
I should add that I am more touring orientated with occasional sporty escapades. So I would like to get some nice mileage out of my next set of tires. And I won't be doing any track days with this bike."

that pretty much describes me as well, and i recently went with the Pirrelli's. I'm happy with them so far, after about 1,000 miles. They're great in all weather conditions and i've experienced no slippage, and they seem to heat up fairly quickly. I think that price is pretty on par with what i paid from a dealership. I had some other works done when I had them installed so I'd have to double check my receipt. From everything i've read, it doesnt seem like you can go wrong with this tire.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#3 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

If it's any consolation, my BT-020's have treated me very well. And those 021's are supposed to be better. I've never ridden on either of those selections so I couldn't tell you for sure.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

niterider
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by niterider »

I am running donlups, I have 12,000 on them and hope for another 12,000 this year. I will add that they are on a cruiser and I am a very easy ryder.
1993 750 Vulcan
one seater
ear shave, pod filters
rear turn signal relocation
lowered rear 2" soft tail
converted to manuel cam chain tensioner
horn relocation

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Sicko »

niterider wrote:I am running donlups, I have 12,000 on them and hope for another 12,000 this year. I will add that they are on a cruiser and I am a very easy ryder.
If you're going for 24k on a set of tires, I hope your health insurance is paid up. From a safety standpoint, 14k is pushing it.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#6 Unread post by dr_bar »

Sicko wrote:
niterider wrote:I am running donlups, I have 12,000 on them and hope for another 12,000 this year. I will add that they are on a cruiser and I am a very easy ryder.
If you're going for 24k on a set of tires, I hope your health insurance is paid up. From a safety standpoint, 14k is pushing it.
I put over 34000 kilometers on my set of Avon Venoms and still had tread left when I replaced them with another set. I believe that's over 21000 miles... I am also a very easy rider. 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

isnowbrd
Legendary
Legendary

#7 Unread post by isnowbrd »

Sicko wrote:
You can't make general statements like that. Different bikes, different people, and different tires get more or less miles. If they were riding sport bikes and expecting to get 24k miles, I would agree that isn't likely. But that kind of tire life is much more common with cruisers. (Depending on the tire)
ZZR600
VTR250 - Nothing quite like your first love