waving when overtaking?

OutToLunch
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

waving when overtaking?

#1 Unread post by OutToLunch »

I always wave to oncoming bikers (unless I don't see them or I'm pulling in the clutch). I was wondering what the 'protocol' is when you come up to and pass another bike on a 4 lane road (so 2 lanes on each side). Do you wave? Does it depend on what side you're passing on? Just wondering because now that it's warm out, I'm passing more bikes on the way to work. Oh - and I have not waved to them - seems awkward.
[color=blue][b]'04 Victory Touring Cruiser[/b][/color]

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#2 Unread post by Jamers! »

I try not to ever pass on the right side, i just dont like doing it. When passing though, if i can i try give a slight wave with my left hand as i go by.

JWF
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by jonnythan »

I wouldn't do anything. It seems a little rude to me, like an "FU, you slow poke" kinda wave.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Veda »

I think the biker your passing will understand that it is unsafe for you to wave. If you're on the left then you'd have to take your hand off the throttle.. If you're on the right you shouldn't be passing, or at least be super focused that you're not going to get squished passing on the inside.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

I like to wave as I pass, sometimes they think I want to race. :laughing:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#6 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Passing coming from the opposite direction, we generally nod to one another here, passing when travelling in the same direction, most tend to just wave low. But then in Britain we drive on the other side of the road to you guys, so its only the clutch hand that waves - no biggie
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#7 Unread post by Nalian »

I've never seen anyone wave with anything other than their clutch hand, personally.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#8 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I wave with my clutch hand... I just raise it instead of dropping it to the side in the traditional "I'm afraid of the wind" style that seems to be popular... even though the wind down low isn't that different from the wind up above.

No one's ever called me on it and I can't see why it would offend anyone. Ride your own ride.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#9 Unread post by flw »

If riding slow I give the low wave, if faster sometmes I'll keep my hand on the handle bars but raise four fingers with clutch hand.

When going faster I believe its optional due to safety for everyones sake. If I wave and they don't, no offense taken. Same I hope for the other way around.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#10 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

The guys I ride with will do a "right turn" arm signal with a clenched fist (like this) to wave at other bikers at intersections on the right, when passing or to return a salute from a military person or police officer. Everyone seems to understand what we're doing.