NEWBIE here im young and my parents think im dumb. HELP

gfisha32188
Rookie
Rookie

NEWBIE here im young and my parents think im dumb. HELP

#1 Unread post by gfisha32188 »

Ok, well I used to ride alot almost every day for about eh 2 - 3 years when I was 10-13 and I rode a 250TTR I loved it, it was awsome. Till that one day I crashed broke some bones ect ect. Well long storry short I sold my bike and yeah it sucked. I was scared to ride the bigest love of my life. I am now 16 and I can ride my friends 250 ninja pretty well and I want to get another bike. Heres the thing. My mom says she will have to finance it because I am not 18. Also I WILL HAVE A CAR. So if weather is bad I can still drive some where. Also I will have a full time job over summer and part time during school. Earlyer this school year I made a deal with my mom saying if I got all B's and better I could buy a bike. At the time having a .7 GPA and just kicked off the football team for injury from my motercycle geting worse a B avrage was looking imposible for me. Well here I am some months later and I have a 3.3 GPA. Here is the final stage of the delima. I will brake it down into these easy qestions.

Can I not get financed? * mom has bad cred * IDC about intrest i am willing to pay out the butt.
How much legal inscaurece cost me?* I said partiol insurnce to my mom and she wigged thinking it wasnt leagal or some BS. I just want to know what is the avrage price for a guy that is 16 and the cheapest I can find.
What kind of bike can I look at getting? New used? I am 6’3 and I am 220LB’s. I was looking at ninja 600r. Or CBR 600. Please I need help. Any info u can give me is fine. Also last option. Should I just save up till middle of next summer and buy the bike in full * used *? What is ur advice?

I am sorry my grammer is terriable as well as spelling flying threw this cause I am in the middle of creative righting and dont have alot of time I will cheack back

~ Gabriel
mmmk Gabrielfish@aol.com = email.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

Until you're 18 you cannot be given credit without a cosigner (at least not in any state I've lived in). If your cosigner has bad credit its much less likely that you can even get it.

When you finance a bike you have to have full coverage insurance. This is a requirement by your financier because they want to make sure if you wreck they bike they aren't out $.

Were I in your shoes I'd save and buy a nice cheap used bike when I had the cash in hand. Then you can have the partial insurance and be fine. Paying for it outright will eliminate most of your issues.

xb12rMatt
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by xb12rMatt »

First things first, do not finance a bike. Save up for it and then buy it.

As for the bike, the CBR 600 and the ninja are nice bikes; however, I don't think it would be the best choice for you. You are still very young, and I'm not trying to sound rude but I don't think you will be mature enough to handle a 100+HP I-4 motorcycle. Look at something like the SV 650 or Ninja 650R or the ninja/gs 500 as a first bike.

Avoid the ninja 250 as a first bike. My friend bought one as a first bike and says anything around the city is nice, but the real thing he needs to do -ride highways- is very frustrating. It is difficult to maintain highways speeds on hills and is very difficult to pass cars or avoid dangerous situations.

Insurance for a brand new 16 year old on a CBR 600 will be over $1,000 a year.

Insurance on a ninja 500, Im guessing will be around 300-500.

If you are not in a good financial standing, the best thing to do would be to buy a used ninja 250. They are very cheap to insure and yet pretty fun to ride, (all bikes are fun aren't they?)
Current ride: 05 XB12R
Sold: Yamaha R1

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

xb12rMatt- :wtf:

You recommend not buying a ninja 250 in the same post as recommending he buy a ninja 250?

From the first point I'd say that your friend doesn't know what he's doing. I rode a ninja 250 all over this weekend. It was quick and easy to get to 70 mph, the acceleration there was still better than a honda civic and I attained a top speed of 105 mph in short order. This included riding in hills and even against a head wind (Anyone in the DC metro area can attest to how windy it was on sunday).

I'll agree with the rest of it though. A 600 cc sportbike is expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, expensive to ride and expensive to insure- especially for a 16 year old.

Find a working used bike that's at or under 500cc, 500lbs and 50 horse power.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

xb12rMatt
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by xb12rMatt »

storysunfolding wrote:xb12rMatt- :wtf:

You recommend not buying a ninja 250 in the same post as recommending he buy a ninja 250?

From the first point I'd say that your friend doesn't know what he's doing. I rode a ninja 250 all over this weekend. It was quick and easy to get to 70 mph, the acceleration there was still better than a honda civic and I attained a top speed of 105 mph in short order. This included riding in hills and even against a head wind (Anyone in the DC metro area can attest to how windy it was on sunday).

I'll agree with the rest of it though. A 600 cc sportbike is expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, expensive to ride and expensive to insure- especially for a 16 year old.

Find a working used bike that's at or under 500cc, 500lbs and 50 horse power.
I stated "If you are not in good financial standing". This means if you do not have the cash, go for a cheap bike, but just keep in mind that the highway abilities are not as great as the ninja/gs 500.

Okay so we have one person saying that a ninja 250 is an okay bike for the highways. Ask around, most will find that the ninja 250 can be an inconvience on the highway. Okay, so you rode for one weekend, how about riding it everyday months? You might change your mind. He rides around 50 miles of highways everyday to work. I would say go get more experience for yourself before you start talking down on people you don't even know.
Current ride: 05 XB12R
Sold: Yamaha R1

Damian
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994/Honda/Magna

#6 Unread post by Damian »

I'd also suggest getting a used bike that you can pay cash for. There are probably only a handful of good reasons for a teenager to get into debt, and a new motorcycle is not one of them.

Are you planning on working on it yourself? Do you have gear? Gas money? Those will be some added expenses that you may not have considered yet.
1994 Suzuki Katana 600
1994 Honda Magna 750

gfisha32188
Rookie
Rookie

aye

#7 Unread post by gfisha32188 »

Aye uhh thats great and all how much will a ninja 650 R run me used? Are they hard to up keep? * Are they relieable? Can you keep them outa the shop?*

Thanks ~ gabriel.

gfisha32188
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by gfisha32188 »

Damian wrote:I'd also suggest getting a used bike that you can pay cash for. There are probably only a handful of good reasons for a teenager to get into debt, and a new motorcycle is not one of them.

Are you planning on working on it yourself? Do you have gear? Gas money? Those will be some added expenses that you may not have considered yet.
I dont have gear but I can get and what do you mean by working on it you're self? If I can do a easy fix than sure but I dont know the mechanics of a bike that well.

storysunfolding

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

xb12rMatt wrote:I would say go get more experience for yourself before you start talking down on people you don't even know.
Do you want me to have more experience on the ninja 250 or riding in general? Let's shoot for riding in general to begin with.

I have 19 years of riding time on motorcycles. I've owned over a dozen bikes from 50cc dirtbikes to liter bikes. I'm an MSF instructor. I've passed the BRC, the intermediate rider course, the ERC, Lee parks total control, dirt school, and cornering school. I plan to take the MSF sidecar course this year and the stayinsafe program. In that time I've ridden well over 100,000 miles. I logged 20,000 miles last year alone.

How about my experience on the ninja 250. Well you have me there. It's mainly confined to my recent instructor duties at the MSF BRC, and this past weekend. Luckily I have the vast knowledge of my friends with ninja 250's and the internet as a whole.

My cousin bought a 250 to learn on. Once he had his skills down he bought a new undamaged 250 as his daily rider. He goes to school 6 hours from home and goes back and forth on his bike. He's been doing that for four years. He loves the 250 on the interstate and recently even managed to be in a high speed chase from police at 90 mph b/c he didn't realize that the car behind him had a flashing light on the dash (undercover cop).

Now, you could believe what I tell you about my friends/family or you could research it yourself Check out a ninja 250 forum here http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_does_t ... _riding%3F

Or maybe you want to hear about a guy who crossed the country on a 250.
http://www.theyeagergroup.com/ninja_250_BB1500_50CC.htm

Google the information. Unless you have only been talking to new riders who are afraid of speed or don't understand how the motor works (power is further up in the rpm range) it should be rather obvious that the ninja 250 can handle it's own.
My Blog

storysunfolding

Re: aye

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

gfisha32188 wrote:Aye uhh thats great and all how much will a ninja 650 R run me used? Are they hard to up keep? * Are they relieable? Can you keep them outa the shop?*

Thanks ~ gabriel.
They are a newer bike so they are harder to find used. I'd say easily about $4k. They aren't that hard to keep up if you can do the maintenance yourself and they will stay out of the shop as long as you take care of them. I think overall kawasaki makes a fairly reliable bike.

What he means by working on it yourself is can you diagnose what's wrong with your bike and fix it. Do you have a set of sockets and other tools? Wrenches? Torque wrench? Screw Drivers? etc

Speaking of gear, how much do you have budgeted? You'll want a helmet, jacket boots and gloves at the very least. That will easily cost $500 if not much more.
My Blog