NEWBIE here im young and my parents think im dumb. HELP

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#61 Unread post by MicheleZ »

gfisha32188 wrote:This reply is to "MicheleZ". The first part of you're reply did not offend be but the fact you said that I could never do something pushes me to work even harder. It’s also people like you that can keep a person down and from excelling in life. You tell a person they can never do something and they don’t have any will left they wont.~ Gabriel.
I wasn't trying to offend, I was stating what I believe to be true. Unless you work hard to improve your English your chances of being successful in the corporate world is slim. The corporate world is very unforgiving when it comes to first impressions. If you turn in a resume with the same type of errors as you exhibited here, it will be thrown in the trash. So yes, you do need to work hard and over come this.

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#62 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Yeah but he's also 16. That's a sophmore right?. He has plenty of time. Hopefully he's got another 2 years of high school and 4 years of college in front of him before he hits the corporate world (internships aside).

Resumes, coverletters etc are also given more attention than an internet post.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#63 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Yes he is young with lots of time for hard work ahead of him. Yes, I know resumes are usually picked over more carefully. However, even after you get hired, you must be careful of all correspondence you produce at work - emails, letters, memos, etc. So the diligence that is used for the resume should also be used every single day at work. Otherwise, people at work will probably assume that bad grammar equates to lower intelligence. Especially if you are working in the executive area.

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#64 Unread post by NightNurse »

storysunfolding wrote:Yeah but he's also 16. That's a sophmore right?. He has plenty of time. Hopefully he's got another 2 years of high school and 4 years of college in front of him before he hits the corporate world (internships aside).

An employer would throw an application for a damn fast food job in the trash, with that kind of spelling and grammar.

storysunfolding

#65 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Even though they hire tons of employees that don't speak english?
My Blog

gfisha32188
Rookie
Rookie

#66 Unread post by gfisha32188 »

storysunfolding wrote:Yeah but he's also 16. That's a sophmore right?. He has plenty of time. Hopefully he's got another 2 years of high school and 4 years of college in front of him before he hits the corporate world (internships aside).

This goes for the people talking about me not being able to get a job because my spelling and grammar are not my best attributes. Well just a little FYI. I am a freshman in high school and I have had a full time job since I was 14 getting paid under the table and if my grammar/spelling is not up to you’re standards you can "pee" off. On top of all of this I would treat work as work and resumes as a high priority to me and treat it with every importince. This to me is no big deal. We are talking over the Net? I came here for you're oppinuions on bikes not on my spelling. So can you see why I rushed threw stuff and didnt care?

~ Gabriel
mmmk Gabrielfish@aol.com = email.

storysunfolding

#67 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Interesting where this thread has taken us.

Gab- I'm sure you aren't making any friends by lashing back at people. However, the important question for you is, did we answer your question?
My Blog

gfisha32188
Rookie
Rookie

#68 Unread post by gfisha32188 »

storysunfolding wrote:Interesting where this thread has taken us.

Gab- I'm sure you aren't making any friends by lashing back at people. However, the important question for you is, did we answer your question?
Yeah just about I think so. But I am not trying to lash out at any one. If you make a statement in a public discussion you better be ready to defend it.
mmmk Gabrielfish@aol.com = email.

orc4hire
Rookie
Rookie

#69 Unread post by orc4hire »

gfisha32188 wrote:This reply is for "orc4hire".For one thing, you know nothing about me; and from you’re typing it seems like you are some washed up journalist. Don’t "procreating" tell me what my editor does alright because you don’t have a "procreating" clue. If my editor tossed me my work back I would look for a new editor and say get the "fudge" outa my sight. I have numerous amounts of people who would love to read/edit my work before I presented it regardless of competition or just class work. So to come off so aggressive but you are really barking up the wrong tree. Yes it’s true maybe some editors would toss me my work back but that’s just something I am going to have to live with for the time being till my grammar/spelling gets better. No really I would love to see some of you’re work and than laugh at the fact that some one of you’re amplitude of experience was talking down on me. I am a poet not a nag. You sir are a nag.

Buddy, if you respond like that to helpful advice, I'd hate to see the temper tantrum you'd throw over some harsh criticism; the kind you get out in the real world, after school.

No, I don't know much about you, but I know more about you than you know about me. I'm no kind of journalist at all; I'm a computer consultant, as it happens (thus the screen name). I was just trying to pass along some advice to counter some misconceptions that a lot of young writers have. I don't care what your 'editor' is doing for you, or to you, but I can tell you that out in the real world of professional writers and editors, fixing your grammar and spelling isn't the editor's job. If an editor is faced with two pieces, one of which is a mess and one of which isn't, he's going to go with the clean copy. That's the way things are and you can scream and yell at all the strangers you want, but that's not going to change.

As for looking for a new editor and telling the one who didn't want your work to get out of your face, I am beginning to think that you really don't know what editors are, and what they do. They are the people who decide what gets published in their magazine or book line, or whatever, and any one you treated like that would be more than happy to see you go to a different publication. In fact, she would probably insist on it. There are plenty more poets where you came from; she won't miss you at all. Again, you can like that or not, I don't care, but that's the way it is.

You want to see some of my work? Sure; it's out there for anyone to see. Here's some right here: The Sum Of Things. Now let's see some of yours. Where are you published?

It's a tough world out there, and it's a whole lot tougher if you're not willing to listen to anyone else. But do whatever you like, kid; it doesn't matter to me.

storysunfolding

#70 Unread post by storysunfolding »

orc4hire wrote: You want to see some of my work? Sure; it's out there for anyone to see. Here's some right here: The Sum Of Things. Now let's see some of yours. Where are you published?
That was a fun read. Are you working on anything now?
My Blog