I dropped it and I still dont understand how????

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#11 Unread post by MicheleZ »

wickedrider wrote:What they all said plus you may have been turning too sharply. I put down my new FZ1 two weeks ago while practicing my u-turns and figure 8's. I tried to use the front brake to control my speed. Bike started to go and I just couldn't hold it. It all happened so quickly at 5mph or less. I have also almost put it down when going or walking slowly and turning too sharply without using the brake. I caught it those times.
I ONLY use the back brake at very slow speeds - at those speeds you don't need to use the front brake.

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#12 Unread post by Peter Y »

MicheleZ wrote:
wickedrider wrote:What they all said plus you may have been turning too sharply. I put down my new FZ1 two weeks ago while practicing my u-turns and figure 8's. I tried to use the front brake to control my speed. Bike started to go and I just couldn't hold it. It all happened so quickly at 5mph or less. I have also almost put it down when going or walking slowly and turning too sharply without using the brake. I caught it those times.
I ONLY use the back brake at very slow speeds - at those speeds you don't need to use the front brake.
U know the issue here is that when you are going so slow your dragging your feet on the ground sort of walking the bike. Thats why its tough to use the back brake.

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Peter Y wrote:U know the issue here is that when you are going so slow your dragging your feet on the ground sort of walking the bike. Thats why its tough to use the back brake.
I wasn't referring to dragging your feet on the ground while walking the bike - I was referring to doing U turns and figure 8's which was what Wickedrider said they were doing. Surly I hope no one would drag their feet on the ground while doing u turns and figure 8's......That's another thing I try to avoid at all costs - dragging my feet on the ground. I practice extremely slow moves in order to avoid just that - OR I get off the bike and put it where I want it.

Mistercory
Regular
Regular

#14 Unread post by Mistercory »

so is the suggestion to always straighten the wheel 1st then apply brake?

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by KarateChick »

Mistercory wrote:so is the suggestion to always straighten the wheel 1st then apply brake?
If you are braking to come to a stop, straighten the wheel first. There is a section of the riding course where that drill is demonstrated and then practised by the students. If you are in a turn, David Hough's books do not suggest braking while in a turn but rather, scrubbing off the speed before you enter the turn.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#16 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Peter Y wrote: U know the issue here is that when you are going so slow your dragging your feet on the ground sort of walking the bike. Thats why its tough to use the back brake.
I have no idea what you were doing. If you had your feet down, walking the bike, then you shouldn't have dropped it unless the bike is too heavy for you.

Did you just let the bike fall over when it started to tip? I really don't understand how you can drop a bike with your feet down, unless you slipped.

Just some tips: Never grab the front brake unless your bike is straight. When going slow, slip the clutch to modulate power to keep the bike from falling over. Some people use the rear brake, but that just wears it out. I just modulate my clutch + throttle to control my speed (less clutch modulation due to mine not having any oil in it..).

Oh, and Flipper, no it doesn't happen to everyone. Most people I know have never dropped their bike at walking speed.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#17 Unread post by Kal »

Either front brake while turning. For me it is one foot down and trail braking (but then I probably use the rear more than the front) all the way to a halt. On the very rare ocasions I powerwalk a bike I don't brake unless the wheels are lined up.

Or possibly as happened to me in the ice at the start of the year a sudden lack of traction under one foot

Or finally it could just be it's a heavy bike and you leaned it to make a turn at very low speeds so there was not enough gyro effect to keep it upright.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

Mistercory
Regular
Regular

#18 Unread post by Mistercory »

Ok...now another question while we're on the subject of turning and breaking(and since I'm a noob still waiting for MSF to start up). I keep reading about not braking while turning and I understand why, but how would I handle curves that end in a traffic light. Especially when traveling down unfamiliar roads. How would you stop the bike once you have already adjusted for speed before entering the turn, committed to the turn, but then as you are beginning to accelerate out of the turn you see a stop light at the end of the turn?

I really hope "Close your eyes and pray" isn't the answer.....LOL

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#19 Unread post by Nalian »

You can brake while turning, you just have to be a lot more careful how you do it. Trail braking (or lightly dragging the rear brake) is often done to stabilize the back end in turns. The front brake can also be used in turns but it needs to be done carefully and sparingly because there is a much higher risk of going down when the front is involved. It's always best to get as upright as possible to brake if you need to emergency brake. Getting the correct entry speed for a turn is essential, though, and definitely a skill you need to work on from the get go.

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#20 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Mistercory wrote:Ok...now another question while we're on the subject of turning and breaking(and since I'm a noob still waiting for MSF to start up). I keep reading about not braking while turning and I understand why, but how would I handle curves that end in a traffic light. Especially when traveling down unfamiliar roads. How would you stop the bike once you have already adjusted for speed before entering the turn, committed to the turn, but then as you are beginning to accelerate out of the turn you see a stop light at the end of the turn?

I really hope "Close your eyes and pray" isn't the answer.....LOL
Do NOT WORRY ABOUT getting any more of your questions answered here. Take the class. If you still have quesitons, then ask here.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul