Scooter stolen...what now?

Super Dave
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#1 Unread post by Super Dave »

I just bought a scooter 9 days ago and it was stolen yesterday outside the store where i work. The handlebars were locked and it was stolen in broad daylight on a saturday.

I filed a police report and now i'm on to the next step which is....i don't know. I had no insurance on it and i'm not sure what to do now. I'm i just screwed? Should i talk to the dealership and see if i can get credit or call pawn shops to see if it was hocked?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :cry:
2001 Ninja 500R....Purple

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#2 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Sorry to hear about that. I can't even imagine that feeling. With no insurance, I'm sorry to say that you're probably screwed. Have you talked to management? Maybe they have a theft replacement policy since you were working at the time. Doubtful but, it's worth a shot. Next time, think about some kind of chain lock to keep it in place. Or, better yet, maybe they'll let you park it inside somewhere like a stockroom area near a loading dock, etc. My boss lets me park my bike inside our garage area.

darsek
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by darsek »

So sorry, thats such a huge bummer. I heard about this girls bike that was stolen from where she worked and she works at a motorcycle shop!! Since I heard that I always stick on a disc lock at work and lock the ignition. When I get a bike thats worth it, I'll get Lojack.

Justice75
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Justice75 »

Sorry to hear about the scooter. I live in Kentucky also and I just saw on the news the other night there have been a lot of motorcycle thefts in Lexington over the past few weeks. They even showed a theft caught on a security camera. The thief walked by it to make sure no one was watching. He walked back up the the bike and was gone in 30 seconds. You might want to check with your work to see if they have camera's on the parking lot so the police can look at the video tape. You never know, they had a good description of the guy who stole the one they played on the news. Could be the same guy and they can link the crimes together.

Justice75

BMK
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by BMK »

Sorry to hear about your scooter. Being uninsured really limits your options. I agree that inquiering if your employer is insured for theft on his prperty might be your only possibility, and that's a long shot.

Good luck.
I'm not young enough to know everything.

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum

Re: Scooter stolen...what now?

#6 Unread post by DustyJacket »

Super Dave wrote:....I had no insurance on it and i'm not sure what to do now. I'm i just screwed? ...
Yup, you are screwed.

And if you had no liability insurance, anyone you got in an accident would be screwed as well. (Somewhat)
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

Super Dave
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by Super Dave »

BMK wrote:Sorry to hear about your scooter. Being uninsured really limits your options. I agree that inquiering if your employer is insured for theft on his prperty might be your only possibility, and that's a long shot.

Good luck.
The store has no such thing.
No security cameras outside the store.
Dealership says i can cheat on homeowner's insurance to try to get the money.

So i am out of luck and the cop wouldn't even give me a ride home which was 3 miles away because it was out of his way. I had to wait 2 hours for my wife to get out of work. I guess i'm stuck paying for something i don't own anymore
2001 Ninja 500R....Purple

DustyJacket

#8 Unread post by DustyJacket »

Super Dave wrote:.....home which was 3 miles away ...I had to wait 2 hours for my wife to get out of work. ...
You can walk 4 miles an hour easy.
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

telefunkin
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by telefunkin »

That sucks man, sorry. It's a long shot but hopefully the cops will find it.

I stopped at the bank 2 days ago and got stuck inside for like a half an hour. When I came out I noticed that I left the keys in the ignition. To make things worse, I thought I was only going to be 2 minutes at the ATM so I had left my helmet sitting on the bars.

I really kicked myself in the "O Ring" over that one. I might as well of put up a "Free Bike" sign in front of it. Since then, I've developed sort of an OCD obsession, with checking my pocket every 10 minutes, to see if the keys are there.

Tower18CHI
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Tower18CHI »

Next time, lock it up like a bicycle. Maybe that's just the city slicker in me, but most people that have scooters here lock them to bike racks like bicycles.

But yes, without insurance, you're screwed. The police will not put much effort into finding a scooter (they don't put much effort into finding much of anything once it's stolen)